Need some Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some Help!!!

Hi there. I've sort of been MIA for a while working on a mammoth task. Basically the centre is an appliqu├ęd house done from a photo. Around that there are a number of blocks - sort of a sampler. But here's the problem. Because I'm hopeless at maths - can't be good at everything!! - I somehow miscalculated the size of the sampler blocks. So what I'm making are 8" blocks. Not that easy to find but somehow I'm getting there with them.

The REAL problem relates back to my maths and I need to make 7" x 8.5" blocks to fill in the gaps. I've invented a few, mutilated a few, and recreated a few. Now I've hit the wall. I still have 6 more strange sized blocks to make and have no idea what they will be.

Would appreciate any ideas/suggestions that anyone has. Will post a pic when I get a bit more sorted.

Many thanks - Chris

Re: Need some Help!!!

Could you possibly put a frame/border around your center square so that you could use consistent sized square around?
    Wendy
    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I, too, am hopeless for math related blocks..and quilts. I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only math challenged person out there. I hope someone comes along to help out.

Here's where I go for inspiration.. Quilt Blocks Galore!
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

I wish I could help..... Math and I don 'to get along.... That's why I round measurements off, and sometimes make oversized blocks..

Lots of luck!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Here's a thought. Make a six inch block. Then add rectangles or smashing to make row right size.

Jane
          Jane M (quiltnforfun)

Comment

I think Jane means rectangles or sashing.

Are you trying to do a large variety of blocks? One suggestion would be to add a crazy quilt block. That can be any size you want it to be. How about sewing some strips together and then cutting the strip set into 7 x 8.5? Another would be an elongated log cabin with different sized strips around a center rectangle. If the strips are different widths then you can make it any size by simply cutting to your dimensions once you add the last round of strips. Try googling rectangular quilt blocks and clicking on images. You might get some ideas there. I would think just about any rectangular block could work by adding a border around it to get it to the size you need. It doesn't have to have borders of equal width. Definitely take a look at images. I just took a look and I saw some blocks that could work. I saw the jar block for starters. That one would definitely be useable. A picture of what you're doing would make it a lot easier for us to give you some help. Just throwing ideas out there can be helpful but seeing what you're doing might help us give you better ideas.
            Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; February 23, 2014, 10:50 AM.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone - I knew I could count on you all!! Looked at the site you mentioned Rebecca and got a few ideas from there. Today is another day and somehow the task is not so daunting. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X