Attaching labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching labels

Has anyone put the quilt label on before the quilting is done? I'm thinking I'd like to have this current one more permanent than the ones stitched on after the quilt is finished.

If you have quilted the label on, have they ended up where you'd intended? I have a bad feeling that I'd measure it out, and then the quilt top wouldn't sit on the back the way I'd planned ~ once I take it to the lady who has a longarm.

Re: Attaching labels

I haven't done this but I know a lady who does it on quilts that will be used & washed a lot. Your LAQ would have to measure it out & I hear it sometimes doesn't end up exactly in the corner. That wouldn't bother me but may bother you. Why don't you check with the longarm lady & see what she says?
    Good luck & please let me know how it works out. I'm very curious.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I do this routinely. I have attached one label that I created and stuck on and then quilted over it...and then several that I embroidered directly onto the back prior to quilting. For the latter, I find the center of the backing fabric and then come down eight or so inches from the top and embroider the info there. It's not precise but works pretty well. If I were trying to place the label low and in a corner, I'm thinking it would be more tricky. This works for me, and I like the permanence of it. But, I can see how some might think it's too obvious.

Comment

I like the idea of embroidering directly onto the backing fabric! That may have to wait for another time though, I have some pretty fabric to use for this label.
        Thanks for your input

I'm wanting to do it this way in case she takes the quilt to her dorm room. I guess if someone is willing to steal, the permanent label won't stop them...but it'll still make me feel better. Who knows, she may just leave it at home until she moves into her own place.

Comment

Someone put it into the corner of the quilt and bound it right in.

I have also added in the name of the owner as an appliqued panel when I pieced the back. I hand wrote the rest of the label at the bottom edge of that panel when I was done quilting it. You could also write directly on one of the blocks on the front of the quilt. Make sure that you take a photo of her with her quilt before she leaves home with it. It is proof that it was hers if she has to go looking for it after a sleep over!
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
          X