Strait Stitch Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strait Stitch Plate

When I took my 2007 in for servicing, I ordered a straight stitch plate....on an impulse.... Will it really help me FMQ better? I'm kind of having buyer's remorse, and am hoping the expense will be worth it.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: Strait Stitch Plate

My newest Janome has two plates. They click on and off. Great idea for keeping the lint at bay, you can clean out under the plate often. My last machine had a plate with changable holes, which were sometimes problamatic because they didn't change correctly or completely. I love the round needle plate on this new machine because the fabric never gets stuck down the big hole. I haven't had a lot of free motion experience with it ( make that NONE), but I think you will love it for piecing, and hopefully for FMQing also.

Comment

My machine has both plates. I use the straight stitch plate for piecing and fmq. It has helped enough that I bought one for my travel machine. I think you will like it.
      Ann

Comment

Thanks.... I'm looking forward to trying the SSP out... My FMQ needs all the help it can get.... It just looks like a more stable set up for the needle.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I think I need to change my plate! I had the zig-zag one in because of applique and never changed it back. Glad this came up!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have trouble using anything that only gives the needle one little hole. I have broken most needles that way. I dont feel as though I have any issues because I dont use it. I even had to stop using the quarter inch foot because of the little needle hole. I forget to changes settings and there goes my needle lol. Forgetful grammie
            Karen
            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I like mine when piecing as it doesn't tend to get corners stuck which I sometimes have a problem with if I am using my plate with a horizontal slit.
              Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
                I have trouble using anything that only gives the needle one little hole. I have broken most needles that way. I dont feel as though I have any issues because I dont use it. I even had to stop using the quarter inch foot because of the little needle hole. I forget to changes settings and there goes my needle lol. Forgetful grammie
                That's what I would be worried about. I would never remember to switch plates and have needle points flying everywhere.

I have been dying to get one of those sliders that Lea Day uses. I think that would help my FMQ the most. Right now I am using a quilt as you go method and the batting makes a lot of extra friction then just cotton fabric.

Comment

I wonder if there's something else we could use that would be slippery instead of the "slider." It's so expensive for what it is. Why would a straight-stitch plate help with FMQ?
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                    I wonder if there's something else we could use that would be slippery instead of the "slider." It's so expensive for what it is. Why would a straight-stitch plate help with FMQ?
                    I know, it really is ridiculously expensive, especially when I read how easy it is to rip.

Comment

Rebecca, there is something else you can use. It is not always the easiest thing to find, though. It is an oven liner sheet and I got mine from one of those shops that sells things for bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. and of course generally housewares. It wasn't very expensive. I cut some slits into it so I could slide it over the machine and cut a circle for the needle to have room for sewing. Then I taped it in a couple of places with Scotch-type tape. You can easily move it back,,, or flip it back to remove bobbin. Works for me.

Comment

Thanks, Quiltlover! I'll check into that. Bed, Bath and Beyond might have one or maybe Amazon.
                        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                          Some of the forum members have used the teflon oven liners available from Amazon. I haven't tried one myself, but maybe someone will be on here to comment. I've attached a link, but not sure what sizes are available and what size the members are using.
                          Amazon.com: 2 X LARGE Teflon Oven or Pan Liner Baking Mat 17" x 25" 2 PCS: Kitchen & Dining

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltlover View Post
                            Rebecca, there is something else you can use. It is not always the easiest thing to find, though. It is an oven liner sheet and I got mine from one of those shops that sells things for bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. and of course generally housewares. It wasn't very expensive. I cut some slits into it so I could slide it over the machine and cut a circle for the needle to have room for sewing. Then I taped it in a couple of places with Scotch-type tape. You can easily move it back,,, or flip it back to remove bobbin. Works for me.
                            Thank you so much for this! I will totally check it out!

Comment

The oven liner work Fabulous on FMQ...

Comment

Working...
                              X