Learning to applique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to applique

Question from a totally green newbie. I'd like to learn to applique but I'm a bit daunted by all the different approaches. Needle turn appeals to me but the seeming ease of using fusibles looks interesting. I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are appliquers here but what method would you suggest as my first try? I haven't done much (any!) hand sewing in recent years so the instant gratification of "fuse it down and buttonhole around it" looks interesting.

Dorothy in Denver
    Dorothy in Denver
    Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering.
    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    -Leonard Cohen

Re: Learning to applique

I am no help - the only applique I have done has been with my embroidery machine. I still cut the pieces wrong......ugh!! I should try it again.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I would recommend the fusible method .........I guess because that is what I am most familiar with....what I have done so far is fused machine applique. Needle turn applique is very pretty.......if you do a lot of hand work give it a try. That is something I want to learn one of these days.....but haven't done mcu handwork since I was a kid. If you are undecided try a small sample of each and see which one grabs your interest the most. Good Luck!
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I like to do machine applique. I don't have the patience to do the hand work of turned applique, but I admit that my grandmas did it that way and the work was beautiful. If you enjoy hand-work, try the method, otherwise, you can get some pretty nice looking applique work by machine stitching.

I usually do raw edge applique. There are so many nice iron-on products that it makes it easy. The double-sided products like featherweight Heat & Bond are easy to use. There are many brands available. Once you've set your designs on the quilt and bonded them to the fabric, the fun begins with the stitching around each motif. Just go slow and take your time. You might want to look for some tutorials on YouTube or blogs that will teach you the technique.

Comment

The really lightweight fusible makes it so easy (as long as you remember to fuse it on before you cut out the shape, yeah, that was a huge oops) and then just blanket stitch, or zig zag or some other stitch you like on your machine. Sometimes I've even used spray baste to hold a shape in place if it is a simple one.

If you are looking for simple designs to start with, google "coloring book pages" and you will get a whole bunch of free, easy pictures to work with.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

I have done both needle turn and machine applique. For me it depends on the look I am after, the time I want to spend(whether I am looking for something to do while watching TV or want to be more secluded at my machine). Machine is much sturdier like for children's quilts.

I have done more needle turn but they have all been wall hangings.
            Be blessed,
            Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Comment

My machines are all straight stitch only so I might try finishing the edges by hand with the fusible method. Thanks, y'all, for the information.
              Dorothy in Denver
              -Leonard Cohen

Comment

Dorothy, try all the methods and then stick to the method or methods that please you. I've tried everything over the last two decades, including various methods of machining pieces on fabric but truly enjoy needle turn by hand.
                SandyWhite
                Ocala, Florida
                http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

I've very new to applique, and I like the fuse method. I like a blanket stitch the best for my edge, but plan to experiment more.

Comment

As someone who has (and had) no idea how to applique, I found using basic shapes the best. Then fused each shape, one at a time, on the quilt to zig zag around.

Here are my applique quilts-the first one I did is at the bottom and is the simple sail boat quilt.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ue-quilts.html

Corners were a challenge. Also finding the lightest weight fusable (I am limited on what I can buy locally). I did use 505 spray at times. I drew up the image or used a coloring book image (outline image), but maybe getting a applique pattern with simple directions would be best for the first time so you know which piece to place first.

Instead of a pattern, I just decided what I wanted and jumped in. Sometimes its better not to know what you are getting yourself into because you might not try it.

I say, GO for it! Have fun and have a good seam ripper handy.

Comment

Love RiverMomms appliques! She inspired us all to applique on jelly roll race quilts! Fusible would be the only way for me, i tried it on one of my JRR quilts.

Comment

I just finished an applique quilt for my dgt. I researched every technique and because I am basically impatient and a little lazy I decided to do the "easy" way. I used feathweight fusible and the zig-zag stitch on my machine. Worked out great. I liked the featherweight because it does the job and the applique doesn't feel stiff like some of the fusibles

Comment

RiverMomm those are adorable. I have been thinking I want to do a jelly roll race to get practice piecing. That simple pattern with the appliques just jumps out at me. Thank you so much!
                          Dorothy in Denver
                          -Leonard Cohen

Comment

River mom, I love your appliqués !! They are so darling I am inspired to try it myself.
                            I've never done much appliqué, but I think I'll try it agin
                            Thanks
                            May the road rise up to meet you...
                            May the wind be always at your back...
                            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Needle turn worked very well for me when I first started quilting. Now that it's been years since I did any hand work, it's not so easy anymore. If you prefer the look of needle turned, give one piece a try to see how you like it. That first piece would be easy to rip out and fuse on if you don't like how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X