What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do?

I bought coats transparent thread to quilt my quilt with. I am new at this I put the transparent in the top and regular in the bobbin it didn't work for me I am so disapointed. I had to use a zig zag stitch to do the stitch in the ditch on my first quilt it turned out ok. My second quilt is a log cabin I am not sure how the zig zag will look right on it. Does anyone have any ideas on this. I am at a stand still I don't know what to do.

quilt 006.jpg

Re: What to do?

For me, i would not use coats and clark thread on my quilts. You may want to try a better thread such as Superior, Isacord, and there are several others. Superior has a great clear thread that I have used on my quilts.

Of course, machines are different too so you would have to see what works best for yours.

I am sure some forum members more experienced in this will be by to help as well.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

How did it not work? What is going wrong?

I agree with Karen about your thread brand. I use Superior and would never use any thread from Coats and Clark.
      Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I am a die hard Coats & Clark user and that is pretty much what I use 99% of the time. I have never had an issue with my quilts using Coats. Thread brands are all a personal choice. However, I do know that the transparent, invisible, monofilament threads are an animal of a different breed. If they are thick or stiff, it is not going to go well. There is a really nice one that I believe is made by Superior I believe. Some of the better ones are thinner and more flexible just like the thread that you use everyday.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

I don't like using invisible thread - have had trouble using it whenever I tried to use. I only use Coats and Clark and have never had a problem with that. I have a Bernina Aurora 440. I pick a color that closely matches my fabric.
          Wendy
          http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I have always been leary of invisible thread.. I did use it once,, it was Mederia and I was told it was the best "fool proof" one to use... it was a while back and I don't remember it giving me a problem... hope that helps... I use anything from Coats to Superior.. my theory.. if it "balks",, change thread... I'm not a collector of colors.. most always use neutrals.. and have plenty of them... each sewing machine has it's likes and dislikes... I have I think 9 machines... the more expensive they are the more fussy they are with thread..
            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

The only invisible thread I have had luck with is Sulky which is polyester.

I use the coats and clark quilting thead all the time and no problems with it. I did not know they had invisible but if it's nylon, I won't use it - horror stories with nylon invisible thread.
              Vonnie

Comment

Thanks everyone I am going to try it again. I live in a small town and they only place to buy material is walmart and hobby lobby. I do buy on line a lot. I found a little quilting shop here that does classes I went into there today and found superior mono poly I am goint to try it.

Comment

You still haven't told us what the issue is with the clear thread. If it's breaking you may need to loosen your top tension.
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Sorry it was breaking.

Comment

This is going to be an odd question but is it machine thread or hand quilting thread? Many machines don't like hand quilting thread. I, myself have picked up the wrong type of thread and boy, can it cause issues with the machine.

The other issue could be the tension is not adjusted correctly. Sometimes when using two different threads, even if you have an automatic tension adjuster, you will have to adjust the tension yourself.

Comment

My LQS carries Aurifil and Superior but only a limited number of colors each. I have had very good luck ordering online from Red Rock Threads. They have a wonderful selection. At first I liked Aurifil the best but now I think I like Superior So Fine even better. I used Isacord for a while but it broke sometimes whereas the others don't seem to.

sigpic
                        Marci

Comment

I have never had any problems with Coats and Clark thread and it's the only thread I'll ever use. In fact up until a few months ago I worked in a garment factory and that's the only brand we would use. Our high speed sewing machines loved it.
                          TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

If it's nylon, I would not use it. I've been able to successfully use poly monofilament by loosening the tension quite a bit.

Comment

I use coats and clarks all the time also. Never had a problem. I do not like invisible thread at all of any kind. I do use superior and king tut for specialty threads though and like those. I love the look of variegated threads when doing a quilt top.
                              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X