X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffeebreak
    replied
    Re: Using invisable thread ?

My recent experience is....they say to wind the bobbin slowly with invisible thread. However, my bobbin has one speed and that is fast, so I can't put it on the bobbin. So I used it in the top only and a matching thread in the bottom (cotton of course!) and it worked great! The color never came up on the top and the invy thread. I think I did SITD (I gave the quilt as a wedding gift) or else I just did straight stitching to each side of the seam. I look forward to using it again, at $4 a spool tho(iwth Joann's 50% coupon ONLY!) I willl have to be selective when to use it! But...there was no difference in how my machine "worked" or accepted the invy thread as opposed to the cotton

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

I don't care for the invisible threads. Maybe they are different now, but I remember years ago when I sewed for my Aunt, she would give me a spool of that so she didn't have to buy matching thread. Can't see it and it has a mind of its own. plus it comes un-done easy and its picks at ya when you use it in clothes.

Leave a comment:

• cheryl#07
    replied

I can't use it. My machines don't like it. Hard to thread the machine and keep it threaded. I was told not to use it in the bobbin. I would love tis from someone who has been successful with it.

Leave a comment:

• Angelia
    replied

Originally posted by Angelia View Post
    It's so funny how we wind up doing things at the same time others do--I am planning to use invisible thread for the first time, too. I plan only to use it on top;the backing is a solid black flannel, so I don't need it in the bobbin. Good luck to us all!
    Update: I did it, and it worked well. The thread (Sulky polyester monofilament) feels strange--stiff, with a mind of its own-- but once I got my machine threaded, it was fine. It wants to jump off the spool in coils--tried my spool cap, but that made it worse. I just had to keep telling myself, "it is sewing fine--quit looking at it!" I used regular thread in the bobbin, and other than a headache at the end (caused, I'm sure, by squinting to see the stitches), my first try was a complete success.

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

I recently used Inv thread... I couldn't get it wound on my bobbin. All the instruction I read said to wind it slowly to it doesnt stretch, but my bobbin winder has one speed and that is fast! So I used it on top only. It worked great! I was so surprised! I was all set up for problems and this and that, but it went perfectly! I made the quilt as a wedding gift and I don't remember exactly what I did...other than I didn't do stitch in the ditch...but it worked great and the Inv thread did just fine. I can't wait to use it again. OH, I forgot the reason I tried it inthe first place... I had a dark front/top and a light back and knowing that FMQ'ing might not keep the stitches exact so the dark thread didn't pull through on the bottom light side and visa versa... I decided to try the INV and used it on top and beige thread on the bottom....worked great.

Leave a comment:

• ozziepuppy
    replied

I have used it in the top and in the bobbin, BUT I have found that you have to mess around with the tension quite a bit to get it set up so that it doesn't break. Do some practice work until you get the tension correct, and then it should work just fine.

And yes, it is indeed made by spiders. As mentioned previously, be sure to get the kind made by the polyester-eating spiders and not the nylon-eating ones. The nylon is not as strong and also melts under lower temperatures.

Leave a comment:

• QuilterLinda
    replied

I usually use it on the top ONLY and a thread that matches the backing in the bobbin. You will get various results when you use different threads in the bobbin. So be sure to test on a piece before you start if you do this. I love the look of using this--but I hate working with it.

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

I use it fairly often with no problem. I don't recommend using it in the bobbin if you are using a dark solid on the back of your quilt. It shows up too much and I don't like that. I do use it in the bobbin otherwise. I really don't have any problems with it breaking. I guess it depends on the type machine you're using. My Janome likes it.

Leave a comment:

• Angelia
    replied

It's so funny how we wind up doing things at the same time others do--I am planning to use invisible thread for the first time, too. I plan only to use it on top;the backing is a solid black flannel, so I don't need it in the bobbin. Good luck to us all!

Leave a comment:

• Suzyq
    replied

A quilting teacher mentioned to me that if you're using invisible on the top, it's best to use regular thread on the bottom, and also reduce the tension ...hope this helps...

Leave a comment:

• MommaTails
    replied

I used the same for both.

Leave a comment:

• LoveMyMachines
    replied

I just used clear monofilament thread for the first time to machine stitch a binding for a charity quilt. The binding is red and the backing is blue. I used the thread in both top an bobbin. I love that you don't see it, but I found it difficult to stich with.

How well do bindings sewn with monofilament (invisible) thread hold up?

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I never use invisible thread for anything. I use Superior King Tut thread or Signature's plain 40 wt. quilting thread that comes on the large cones. I have good success with both those. JCY

Leave a comment:

• sassygranny
    replied

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
    But, that said, my Juki absolutely hates invisible thread - breaks it within two or three stitches. But, my Babylock has no problem with it.
    I am about to venture into my first monofilament thread use with my Juki TL-98E. By chance are you using that same machine? I really hope it works in my machine. Nothing else will do as well for this particular quilt.

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

I have never used it in my bobbin. The superior clear works great in my babylock. I just hate using it because it is hard to see

Leave a comment:

Working...
X