Need machine advice today!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need machine advice today!!

This morning I went to an estate sale that featured a Bernina Activa 230. They were asking $550 for the machine. The lady showed me the receipt; it was purchased in 2006 for almost $1000. I took a piece of fabric and was able to sew a straight stitch. I am unfamiliar with the machine and didn't have time to sit and read about the other stitches. Every lady that looked at it said that it was way overpriced. I contacted the Bernina dealer and they said RETAIL was about $500. I'm thinking about $350 for an 8 year old machine that was $1000 new. What would YOU think the machine is worth.

Re: Need machine advice today!!

I think you are right on target. Offer that and see if she will take it.

Comment

If you are willing to pay 350, please start at 250, hoping that they will agree to 350.
      Negotiating is not fun. I wish you luck.
      Preeti
      http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here is a link to the manual. If nothing is wrong with it, it should be a really nice machine.

LINK TO MANUAL

sigpic
        Marci

Comment

I went to an estate sale today and the sold a "special edition" Bernina 1080 (? not sure of the number but it was 10-something) for $850.00. They originally wanted more but I guess the person who bought it convinced them to lower the price. I got there after it was sold but it had been in the advertisement which is why I stopped by today (the final day of the sale) on the way home from getting my hair cut. I asked about it and that is what the person in charge of the sale told me. What was the outcome in your case?

sigpic
          Marci

Comment

I agree about the negotiating ....Start at $250.....Then don't go a penny over $350. IF she doesn't budge, give her your name & phone number and tell her if she re-considers by all means to contact you.

It doesn't matter WHAT the price of the sewing machine is new.....like my dad always said you can't expect to get retail pricing on something just because you purchased something and then didn't use it.....That doesn't mean that the item is NEW...no,it's still used.
            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

An item is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe go online and see what the average going price is for like machines on eBay and Craigslist.

Comment

Working...
              X