Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

Let me start off by saying I am new to sewing and quilting and I am very excited and motivated to do a family heirloom quilt. I found a design/project by Quilt dad called rooted/falling leaves, http://www.quiltdad.com/2010/11/falling-leaves.html. This project seems to be a perfect match of the idea I want to complete. It seems easy enough for a beginner, made with squares and half square triangles. I changed the design because I don't want falling leaves to represent my family tree signature quilt, so I made it look like leaves on a tree. Where the leaves are is where i would like to embroider all members of my family, around 40 signatures.
    So my question is if I want a finish square of 4 1/2 inches and the unfinished squares are 5 inches, to make my half square triangles a 5 inch square do I have to cut 5 7/8 inch squares?
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Help

Add the 7/8 to the finished size.
    Some people will just go an inch and them trim it down to be sure.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I thought it was 7/8 inch, but I like bakermom's idea. Better to be safe than sorry. Can't wait to see the finished quilt, heirloomcreator! The embroidery plan will add so much and it will definitely be a much cherished Heirloom!!!

Comment

Thanks, Better safe than sorry

Comment

Can't wait to see the end result. Sounds simply beautiful.
          Susan

Comment

That is a beautiful quilt! Be sure to post pictures of your finished project!!
            ~Mary
            As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Working...
            X