Stupid classic noob mistake. Ugh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid classic noob mistake. Ugh!

Last night I finished the back of my Phoebe's Flower Box and posted it last night. I was so dead set on making sure this matched perfectly with the front that I forgot one important thing...... I was supposed to make the back bigger so I could sandwich them together and then cut it down to size.

Has anyone made this mistake before and how did you handle it? I didn't think of this until just now as I was waking up. I don't have enough material to make a bigger border so i can cut it down. I bought the last of it in the store and only have a yard or so left. HELP!

The pic is posted under show and tell. I can't post from my tablet.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: Stupid classic noob mistake. Ugh!

Could you just add a black border to make it bigger? I think that might blend in the best.

ph.jpg
    Last edited by Hulamoon; February 20, 2014, 07:03 AM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

What I would try is to just cut some border fabric....old/stash, whatever you have....baste it to the backing and then quilt it and take that off then bind it.
      Shirley aka buckeyequilter
      I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Then it won't match the front. Both sides have a 5" turquoise border. It was supposed to look continuious from front to back (except for the binding)
        Hugs,
        Joanne

Comment

What I do, (keep in mind, I am in no way experienced) is make my quilt sandwich (spray basted together) and then serge it together. I haven't had any problems quilting it when I do this, I'm able to quilt up to the edge. Just a thought. Your quilt is Beautiful!

Probably can't see it real well, but the edges are serged in this quilt.SAM_6973.jpg
          Last edited by Vickie1965; February 20, 2014, 07:31 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vickie1965 View Post
            What I do, (keep in mind, I am in no way experienced) is make my quilt sandwich (spray basted together) and then serge it together. I haven't had any problems quilting it when I do this, I'm able to quilt up to the edge. Just a thought. Your quilt is Beautiful!

Probably can't see it real well, but the edges are serged in this quilt.[ATTACH=CONFIG]69067[/ATTACH]
            I did that before too! Didn't think about that. A zig-zag will work if you don't have a serger.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

With a 5 inch border you could just quilt it as is and when you square it up at the end just make the border a bit smaller all the way around. If you're careful with quilting you may not get a lot of shrinkage. Can you tell I've done this before lol. I have added borders to one and did what I explained above to another. The one where I just quilted as above my borders started at 4" and ended up 3 and a half inches when all was said and done. It depends on how attached you are to the 5 inch borders.
              And that quilt is beautiful by the way!
              Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Originally posted by Vickie1965 View Post

Probably can't see it real well, but the edges are serged in this quilt.[ATTACH=CONFIG]69067[/ATTACH]
                Was your back the same size as the front before you serged it together? What if I spray basted and used a ton of pins and just line them up? I would have to cut the batting the same size so I can see both sides. I don't have a serger but I can sew the edges first. It will be covered with the binding anyhow.
                Hugs,
                Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by GinnyKNC View Post
                  With a 5 Inch border you could just quilt it as is and when you square it up at the end just make the border a bit smaller all the way around. If you're careful with quilting you may not get a lot of shrinkage. Can you tell I've done this before lol. I have added borders to one and did what I explained above to another. The one where I just quilted as above my borders started at 4" and ended up 3 and a half inches when all was said and done. It depends on how attached you are to the 5 inch borders.
                  And that quilt is beautiful by the way!
                  Thank you so much! As stupid as it sounds, I was attached to the 5 inches. The balance of the colors worked. If I have no choice then it gets cut down. I had to do this with my first quilt too. But with that one I followed a pattern and had help. Lesson learned on this one!
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyequilter View Post
                    What I would try is to just cut some border fabric....old/stash, whatever you have....baste it to the backing and then quilt it and take that off then bind it.
                    Okay here is another noob question. If I cut any fabric to baste to the border, quilt, then cut it off, (here is the noob part ) what is the purpose of doing that if the plan is to cut it off anyhow?
                    Hugs,
                    Joanne

Comment

I suppose I can add another black 6" border to the front and 8" black to the back and cut them down to 5". What do you think?
                      Hugs,
                      Joanne

Comment

I think you are over thinking it. Pin them together with the batting and raw edges lined up. Do a simple quilting, trim up. If you use 100% cotton batting you not stretch it all that far, unless you pull and tug on it. you may end up losing 1/2" on either side. That way you keep your same color border without adding and cutting off more than you need to.
                        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                        sigpic

Comment

The extra fabric and batting, from what I gather, is so you can quilt to the edge and any of the ways suggested will probably work.
                          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                            I think you are over thinking it. Pin them together with the batting and raw edges lined up. Do a simple quilting, trim up. If you use 100% cotton batting you not stretch it all that far, unless you pull and tug on it. you may end up losing 1/2" on either side. That way you keep your same color border without adding and cutting off more than you need to.

Thank you so much. I will do this. I don't have 100%. I have 80/20. I was going to use one of the prints as the binding but I think I will use the same as the border. Thanks Marilyn. I just needed straight forward directions on how to fix this.

And I always over think everything.
                            Hugs,
                            Joanne

Comment

I think you are getting good advice here. I just wanted to say the quilt is stunning! I love it.
                              Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X