FMQ SPEED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ SPEED?

I have been practicing FMQ today and this old granny has a bad habit of putting the peddle to the metal. I floor it and why I don't know. I have to learn to slow it down some but I do everything fast. Is there a speed limit mph that is good.
    Some days I do fair but today I have been a speed demon just waiting to get a ticket. I purchased another of Leah's classes today but what I learned all went out the window. What is good tip for speed? Mind you not tooooo slow.
    sigpic
    Hugs Ann

Re: FMQ SPEED?

I put my machine on the middle speed. This way my speed is consistent and my hands can move pretty evenly with the speed. Anymore than medium and I make a mess
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

The more you practice, you will find the speed/tempo that is right for you. Depending what design I am doing, it might be fast, while other more intricate designs will be much slower. If you have a speed adjustment on your machine, I'd turn it down to halfway to 2/3's and go from there, adjusting up or down. I never, ever go full speed.
      Last edited by bubba; February 19, 2014, 06:46 PM.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Thanks ladies.I am going to slow the machine down and see how I do with that.
        sigpic
        Hugs Ann

Comment

I have no words of advice. I just quilted my first quilt free-motion and I must say I'm terrible at it. I broke several needles. I can't seem to get consistency with the speed, and my stitches are all over the place long, short, very short, longer and loooong. Yikes. It sure would be easier on my Janome since it has a switch to control the speed, but right now I'm stuck with the Viking and it has no speed regulation on it whatsoever.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I have a lever on my machine that allows me to adjust how fast I can go, I set it in about the middle. It's not too fast, but fast enough to allow smooth movement.
            Something else that will help with the movement of the quilt on your sewing machine table is a silicone oven liner...it allows the quilt to slide easily across the table...less friction, less jumping and your stitches will become more regular....I bought mine off Amazon.com, but I'm pretty sure I seen them at Walmart. Here is the link to amazon. Amazon.com: Chef's Planet 23-Inch x 16.25-Inch Nonstick Oven Liner: Home & Kitchen
            LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I don't have a speed control on one of my machines. I haven't tried this yet but heard that I could tape a dowel in the gap between the pedal and the base. That way when I stepped on the pedal it wouldn't go all the way down and that reduces the speed if I get a lead foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                I don't have a speed control on one of my machines. I haven't tried this yet but heard that I could tape a dowel in the gap between the pedal and the base. That way when I stepped on the pedal it wouldn't go all the way down and that reduces the speed if I get a lead foot.
                Or try a piece of foam rubber to ease your foot down.

Comment

I've never heard of using an oven liner for FMQ. Where's the opening for your needle? In my opinion, the best product is the Supreme Slider. It comes in 2 sizes. (It will be cheaper from Amazon than your LQS.) Follow the directions for keeping it lint free. I gently wash/rinse mine & hang it up with clothespins on a hanger & let it drip dry in the shower. I store it in the original packaging. For speed, I set mine on the middle speed so I don't go too fast. Another thing that really helps is to wax your Sew Steady extension table (or sewing table surface) prior to each FMQ project. Also use the Machinger's quilting gloves. With practice you'll find your rhythm. I warm up on a practice sandwich before beginning a project. Actually, I make a sample block & sandwich of all the fabrics in the quilt (both front & back) to test the thread color & pattern to make sure I like it & the colors blend. JCY

Comment

Working...
                  X