Need charity craft fair ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need charity craft fair ideas

Hi, all you talented ladies. Am involved with the local hospital Auxiliary and am looking for ideas for our annual holiday craft fair in November. A few of us meet every week to craft for this event. We all have varying sewing skill levels. Am trying to use up a huge amount of fabric that was donated. Am looking for project ideas that have a good return ($$$) or easy and quick to make in quantity. Any suggestions and/or places where to get patterns or ideas, etc? I search the web and have come up with a few ideas but hoping others have some, too. Thank you!

Re: Need charity craft fair ideas

Quick and easy would be tissue holders. good way too use up smaller pieces of fabric. Reuseable grocery bags using a simple tote pattern.If you have christmas-y fabric maybe drawstring bags that could be sold as "re-usable gift bags"?
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

There is a you-tube video titled, Pot holders in minutes, and they are literally made in a few minutes, I made nine in a couple of evenings, after cooking and doing dishes. So if you have help, you can do these assembly line style and whip up several very quickly.

Comment

YoYo Angels. I love to grab those and they are generally priced around $4 to $5 each. big return for material. do a google search or PM me on how I made my own as Christmas gifts.
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

Really easy are draught excluders. Back strip can be all one piece approx. 6'' x 36''. The front side can be made up of different size rectangles/squares upto 6 x 36 and then join the two together. Leave a space to put the stuffing and handsew the gap. I am not sure what the weather is like in New England at that time of year but its frezing here in the UK and they are popular.

Comment

How about pillow cases - they go together pretty quickly.

Comment

For the young ones, how about crayon aprons and crayon holders?
              Suzette

Comment

Great ideas, Ladies!!! Need to add these to my sewing ideas folder.

I watched the u-tube video for the potholder. Super simple and quick but I would go one step further and add a loop to one corner before sewing the layers together. Definitely holding onto these ideas. Thanks for posting, Shelsmom.

The yoyo angels are really cute! They'd make great pins if you add a jewelry pin to the back or add a ribbon loop to turn it into an ornament. Thanks, Judy.

I've always wanted to make a draft excluder, but have never gotten around to it. Such a practical idea, JB10.

Those pillowcases are so easy to make. i haven't given any as gifts yet but I keep thinking I'm going to add machine embroidery to the edge with a monogram and decorative border to give as gifts. Another project on the "To Do" list.

I was selling aprons a while back and made a couple of children's aprons at the request of a friend. She had one child that was interested in cooking and one in art. She added the appropriate supplies to the pockets for each child and they loved them. You really can't go wrong with aprons. Good suggestion, Suzette.
                Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 3, 2011, 04:02 AM.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

How about placemats? Those are fairly quick to make and can be a plain or fancy as you want to make them.
                  Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

Every one of your ideas is a good one that we will try out. Thank you so much. Right down to making pins with another item suggested! I will be checking out that pot holder video, shelsmom. Even without the Auxiliary's fabric supply, I personally have enough scraps that we could use with no money being expended. And you know New England (I live in NH) gets mighty cold so the draft excluder is a very practical idea. Do you stuff with fiberfill or something heavier, like sand? From Grannyjudy, the yoyo angels sound interesting and ironically I just bought 2 yoyo makers from MSQC! Yahoo...can now try them out and actually make something with the finished product. Now I'm going to gather the supplies so my group can get started. Will let you know of our progress and if any other ideas strike....would love to hear them! Thank you so much for all the great ideas. Have a great day!

Comment

All of the ideas given are great so I don't have any new ones to add - but at the risk of being stupid what the heck is a draft excluder? Is it the decorative thing in front of the door the keep drafts out?

Comment

Yes. they were popular during the 70's gas shortage. they were called"draft dodgers" around here.
                        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I've made a couple of Draft excluder ( draft dodgers as my youngest called them) I always used something heavy.. like those glass bead things for the bottom of floral vases.. They make great Christmas gifts if ya get a bunch of snowmen together with a bottom of heavy beads or marbles. Not too hard to make and really appreciated here during the winters..
                          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                          :icon_wave:

Comment

Here is a link to easy Christmas Stockings by JENNY....yayyyyyy. I mean really.....what's more christmasy than stockings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YK2GlJGeH4
                            :icon_happy:Wicked

My husband lets me buy all the fabric I can hide :icon_wave:

Comment

Thank you again, everyone! Wicked....the stocking idea is a great one that we hadn't thought of. Will definitely do that as we have some donated Christmas fabric. Going to check the video as soon as I get off the forum. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X