Squaring off Blocks for the Double Slice Layer Cake Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squaring off Blocks for the Double Slice Layer Cake Quilt

P.S. Regarding my post below, I think I just answered my own question. I would have to square them off first because if I don't the seams will never match if they need squaring.

I have watched some Youtube videos on squaring off blocks. I am currently making the Double Slice Layer Cake quilt. I have only watched the video on this quilt which does not give all the specifics. I have not been able to find the formal instructions on this pattern. My question is, now that I have the blocks pieced together...the slices sewn to make the new squares, should I square off the separate squares, or should I sew the squares in the rows and then line the seams up and sew the rows together and then square off the whole quilt on the sides? Thanks for any input on this!
    Last edited by HollyinWA; February 17, 2014, 08:41 PM.

Re: Squaring off Blocks for the Double Slice Layer Cake Quilt

P.S. I think I just answered my own question. I would have to square them off first because if I don't the seams will never match if they need squaring.

I think i remember Jean saying that the 1/4 inch seems were not critical with this pattern and she was going to tell us why but I never heard why. I don't think she mentioned it. I am very careful re the 1/4 seam but I could be a little off on some. Since she said that, I was wondering regarding the squaring off the blocks.

Comment

Moi? I said it wasn't so critical how big the block was that you started with. It could be made with smaller blocks. I don't think I said that about the 1/4" seam. If I did, I should be taken to the woodshed!

Definitely square up your individual blocks, it makes the rows go together much more smoothly! And definitely try to keep those 1/4" seams!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
        Moi? I said it wasn't so critical how big the block was that you started with. It could be made with smaller blocks. I don't think I said that about the 1/4" seam. If I did, I should be taken to the woodshed!

Definitely square up your individual blocks, it makes the rows go together much more smoothly! And definitely try to keep those 1/4" seams!
        Hi Jean! Thank you for clarifying. I may have missed when you were talking about the size of blocks was not important with this pattern. That would make sense, because if someone is a little off on the 1/4 inch seams it is not as crutial since the squares do not have to be 10 inches for the pattern. For a beginner that is a good thing in case one is not consistent. I am usually very particular but I found in the beginning that I had to tweak my tape on my machine to master the 1/4 inch seam. I have not yet measured all my squares so not sure how many of them are off. The cakes started off smaller than ten inches to begin with. They were 9 3/4.

I enjoy your videos a lot...my favorites so far! You do a great job, and I am learning a lot. I love the quilts that you show. Thank you for your fun and informative instruction and inspiration!
        Last edited by HollyinWA; February 17, 2014, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X