X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharyn J
    replied
    Re: Batting question

Hobbs 80/20 is my favorite and the one I use most often. I usually buy the queen size on sale even if I don't need it that big and save the extra for other projects or piece together for small quilts.

Leave a comment:

• cyndiofthevortex
    replied

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves Hobbs 80/20. I've tried so many battings and this one is my favorite by far.

Leave a comment:

• HollyinWA
    replied

Glad to see this question on here today. I was going to ask this same question tonight. I was at Hobby Lobby this evening to pick up a square ruler and some black frabric and batting to practice free motion quilting, and I was wondering the same thing. I bought just an inexpensive bag of Mountain Mist Poly batting to practice with for now. Now I need to find the free motion foot to fit a Euro Pro sewing machine before I can start practicing. I don't think I will find anything local...not sure.

Leave a comment:

• Annav
    replied

I have used poly batting and dislike it immensely. I'm not sure why, except that it just doesn't quilt the same as warm and white/natural. It is also not as warm as cotton either, in my opinion, One my biggest enjoyment out the quilting process is the free motion quilting, and FMQ feels very different using poly vs. cotton to me.

Leave a comment:

• Smg1678
    replied

Wow your US prices are amazing. The cotton warm and natural is about 23.00 per meter in Canada. I think I will have to take a cross border shopping trip with and extra piece of luggage for fabric shopping!!!

Leave a comment:

• buckeyequilter
    replied

I very rarely use polyester batting - only if I want something to 'poof'.
    I use either Hobb's 80/20 or Natures Touch cotton batting. I usually get the Natures Touch at JoAnn's but I was looking for it online and found it on WalMart's site for less than I can get it at JoAnn's, with a coupon. I had to order it because our WalMart doesn't stock it.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
    It is NOTHING like warm and white or warm and natural. It behaves differently when quilting and has much more stretch. Think of poly fill, when you think of poly batting. I have used poly when hand quilting, but I do not like it at all for machine quilting. But that is just me. You may want to try 80/20. I use that almost exclusively, and is cheaper than w & w or w & n.
    Agreed!! I love Hobbs 80/20 . I buy mine at Michaels with 50% coupon and get queen size for around $8.00 That makes me a few PICU quilts and runners or whatever I want to make.I have 4 in my stash at the moment plus the one I am working on! I do not care for poly at all in any way, shape or form . Just my opinion of course

Leave a comment:

• lourixe
    replied

I use cotton batting when I quilt more densely, and poly when I want the quilt to be fluffy, so my quilt lines are also farther appart.

Leave a comment:

• katier825
    replied

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
    It is NOTHING like warm and white or warm and natural. It behaves differently when quilting and has much more stretch. Think of poly fill, when you think of poly batting. I have used poly when hand quilting, but I do not like it at all for machine quilting. But that is just me. You may want to try 80/20. I use that almost exclusively, and is cheaper than w & w or w & n.
    what she said! I love the Hobbs 80/20! When it's on sale at Connecting Threads, it's 13.99 for queen. Sometimes you can find it at Michael's for even less with a coupon.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Smg1678
    started a topic Batting question

Batting question

Hi. I have made four quilts recently and each time I purchased the warm and natural cotton batting....I was speaking with a friend today who said she was at a fabric store recently and the lady suggested the thin polyester batting. She said it looks like the warm and natural but it is less than half the cost.

I was just wondering what most if you use in your quilts?

Thanks
Working...
X