Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else frustrated with Bernina 830?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone else frustrated with Bernina 830?

I finally broke down and cried at my sewing machine. I have re threaded it - have changed the tension - the needles - the thread (I use isacord) and removed any loose threads under the stitch plate. But every time - my machine ceases - because thread is getting caught up in the thread cutter. I am seriously considering a change in the sewing machine brand or contacting the manufacturer - does anyone else have some suggestions?

Re: Is anyone else frustrated with Bernina 830?

Hang in there Carol. Please let us know specifically which needle you are using with the Isacord so we can help.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I used to have thread problems but since I started using Aurifil, all that changed. I use Superior Bottomline in the bobbin.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I haven't had that problem with mine but I haven"t used Isocord. I like Aurifil
        Debbie

Comment

I occasionally have problems with the thread too. I use Madeira Thread...and I can't remember the brand of the pre-wound bobbins ( white and black ) .....In fact, I just had problems like this a couple of nights ago.

A question I have is this : Is there a bobbin winder for Husqvarna Sewing machines ? I know a couple of women that have the bobbin winders for their Singers and or Brother machines.....I was told that the bobbin winders that you purchase at Jo-Ann's will not work with the Husqvarna / Viking Designer SE's ....

What brand of thread do most of you use ?
          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Is it the old 830 or the new 830?
            Cathryn

Comment

I know that my husqvarna does not like cutting certain threads ..isacord is one of them .. I have to manually cut the thread if I use it .. Try your machine with different thread ..
              Marathon is another that cuts sometimes but not other times .. It's aggravating !
              Mindy
              Xxx
              Its always nice to be important
              But its more important to be nice !
              :icon_wave:
              Tell someone you love them each and every day

Comment

If the Bernina is a vertical bobbin, don't bother with the thread cutter. A lot of Pfaffies with the 2100 models just turn the thread cutter off. Mine's been off since I bought the machine. Even the Brother 1500 will cut funny.

The one good thing about a vertical bobbin - you can cut out the snarl without having to move the fabric or the hoop if you are embroidering.
                Open the bobbin cover door and snip threads.

Comment

I feel for you... is it something "all of a sudden" or an ongoing issue... I've had "tears at the machine" before... I many (too many).. and sometimes I just do ONE LITTLE thing wrong with threading or bobbin.. even when I swear I'm doing it right.. if you've cleaned out and double checked all this.. I would bring it for a check up (I hate that because it's so expensive),, but you want to know if it's YOU or the machine.. I will say, my BBF quilter buddy,, bought a Bernina and was not happy at all... just saying.. she traded it in for a BabyLock and is very happy.. me, I'm a Janome gal with Brother second.. I don't like "bells and whistles" on my piecing machine.. The Janome 1600 is my workhorse!! Good Luck,, I feel for you.. hope it works out for you...B
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Let's see. The needle I am using are: either the Bernina Quilting assortment 75/11 or 90/14 and Klasse 80/12 or 90/14.

I will try the Aurifil brand as you have suggested along with the Superior Bottomline in the bobbin = would any Superior Threads work? I live in Northern Canada - way up - so accessing might be a bit of a challenge. I will give that a try.

The Bernina 830 is the older one.

I will also not use the thread cutter and see what that nets me.

Thank you all

Carol

Comment

Hi Carol. Grandmababs asked some great questions that will help us to figure out what is going on. Can you answer whether is it something "all of a sudden" or an ongoing issue...

I checked my other quilting forums and got multiple confirmations that Isacord should work with the old model Bernina 830.

Isacord is a 40 weight trilobal polyester thread. I checked the Superior website and it recommends a 90/14 needle so definitely don't use the 75/11 or 80/12.

Home Machine Needles

Some people have reported good results using a Jean needle instead of a topstich 90/14.
                      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I have a Bernina and it likes Aurifil and it really loves Superior So Fine. Isacord. . .not so much.

sigpic
                        Marci

Comment

Let's see. The needle I am using are: either the Bernina Quilting assortment 75/11 or 90/14 and Klasse 80/12 or 90/14.

I will try the Aurifil brand as you have suggested along with the Superior Bottomline in the bobbin = would any Superior Threads work? I live in Northern Canada - way up - so accessing might be a bit of a challenge. I will give that a try.

The Bernina 830 is the newer one

I will also not use the thread cutter and see what that nets me.

Thank you all

Carol

Comment

The problem was all of a sudden and has been going on for months - went for servicing once for another problem

I got the question about whether old vs new 830 confused with the newest 880. I have the new 830.

I will keep the machine using 90/14 and see what happens.

Thanks
                            Carol

Comment

I wrote a post a while ago about how I felt like my Bernina 830 was a lemon. I can't tell you how many times I have cried in frustration with this machine.

Did you know that there was a problem with the bobbin area? They are not calling it a recall, when I took mine in for something like the 7th time they completely replaced the bobbin area of my machine. I was told they are supposed to do that to any of the 830's that came out before a certain time period. They said they found this out in their Bernina University. I think they found it out from all the complaints.

I still am very cautious about using the cutter though as that is always were the problem seem to start.

It is very picky about threads and I still am sorry I spent all that money on this machine.

Good luck.
                              Tortugaquilter

Comment

Working...
                              X