Which Size Should I Make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Size Should I Make?

I am making a quilt for a queen-sized bed. I was going to make a queen-sized quilt (according to the pattern), but then I got to thinking that it would need a dust ruffle, right?

I want the quilt to kind of be like a bedspread in that it would not need anything else in order to look OK on the bed. I have plenty of fabric. SO...I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make the king size instead, so that it would hang down on the sides and foot of the bed (and maybe be long enough to go over the pillows as well). I am using the Yellow Brick Road pattern. Queen 93" x 102" King 120" x 120"

Has anyone done this? Does it look good? Or are the proportions wrong?

I kind of worry that if I do a king-size, though, it will no longer be washable in a home washing machine. Also, I would not be able to get the 108" wide fabric for the backing. So maybe it would not work out that well in the long run and a queen size would be more practical. Maybe a matching dust ruffle could be purchased?

I am kind of confused and if anyone would be able to help me decide what size to make this quilt I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

sigpic
    Marci

Re: Which Size Should I Make?

You could make the dust ruffle if you wanted. They are not hard to make.

As far as the size of the quilt, I have a full bed and have to use a queen quilt but the one I'm making right now will be between a queen and a king. Do not go over the 120" unless you are handing quilting or know for sure that the machine quilter's frame will work. Most places the max is 120" wide to fit the frame.

Comment

I have two dust ruffles one is a cream colored eyelet lace the other is white. So far one of them has always worked with the quilts I've made for my bed. Wait don't think I answered your question, I'd recommend making or buying a neutral colored ruffle. Then I'd make your quilt the size needed for your bed.
      Last edited by MomGram; February 16, 2014, 11:44 AM.
      sigpicAnita G.

Comment

I would take a long tape measure & measure your bed including the pillows and allowing enough extra to tuck under. Then measure the width including whatever drop you want on both sides. That should give you the dimensions you need for the quilt.
        I've done the Yellow Brick Road a couple of times. I think it's a pretty forgiving pattern. You could add extra rows if you need them or just make a bigger or wider border.
        Good luck & don't forget to post pictures.
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

The tape measure is your best idea. I've done that for my beds.
          As far as the backing, spending more on fabric to cover you're extra rows will most likely not be any more expensive than buying fabric for a dust ruffle. I'd say stick with what you really want, making it long enough to cover the bed. The only question I'm not sure about is the washing machine. I have no idea what the size limit is for quilts?

You could also use the 108 inch fabric for the back, cut in half. Make extra blocks to use as a row in the center of your backing.

Comment

It would depend on the capacity of your washing machine. I have just a basic one and I have washed a quilt that was 94 x 106".
            Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

If you are planning to take your quilt to a long-arm quilter, they have limits on the size of the quilts that fit their machines. It's difficult to quilt a huge quilt on your home machine. If you are a new quilter I recommend that you begin with something smaller. King quilts are difficult to wash in a home machine. I have one without an agitator and I would like a larger one. Things to think about.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Myself I love the look of a dust ruffle, and would also buy a neutral color one and make the quilt the correct size for your bed.
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

I am leaning toward the queen size at this point. I will have a lot of extra fabric but maybe I can make pillow shams or something.

sigpic
                  Marci

Comment

How did this turn out? I'm currently having the same dilemma. I'm thinking making the blocks for the king size but only using 11 blocks across and 12 blocks down with no borders. I'm thinking I can use the 12 leftover blocks for shams.

Comment

Originally posted by jingerick View Post
                      How did this turn out? I'm currently having the same dilemma. I'm thinking making the blocks for the king size but only using 11 blocks across and 12 blocks down with no borders. I'm thinking I can use the 12 leftover blocks for shams.
                      You might notice that the original posting date on this was February of 2014. Unfortunately this project got derailed by breast cancer and is still in a very unfinished state, so I don't have anything to report on how it turned out! I hope to finish it someday at whatever the minimum size will cover the top of the bed. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I didn't want to ignore your question! Good luck with your project!

sigpic
                      Marci

Comment

Working...
                      X