Rotary Cutting, Please help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary Cutting, Please help me

I am having a terrible time with my rotary cutting. My cutting never comes out right. I am getting very upset that I cannot cut out the fabric right. At first I thought it was my seams not being nested together but NO, it is my cutting.
    I have the Shape Cut Pro and I can't even cut with that without messing up. All my templates, don't stay still. Please give me some advise as to how too cut the right way.
    Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Re: Rotary Cutting, Please help me

To begin with make sure you fabric is folded straight. After you iron it, fold selvedge to selvedge, and slide either right or left to get it straight. . Look at the bottom, and you can see when it is right. Make your first cut to get the beginning line straight. You can use little sandpaper dots or rubber dots to keep your rulers and templates from slipping. When making long cuts make sure you move your hand up the ruler to keep it from slipping. I am sure others will be along shortly with more advice. Most importantly, take your time and use a sharp cutter.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

I agree with Maryilyn. Those little sandpaper dots really help. It can also help to keep your pinky off of the rulerand on the table to help steady the ruler.

Comment

I really want to thank you for giving me advise in my rotary cutting. I forgot to mention it also happens with pre cuts. Last night, I took some 5" squares and I wanted to practice making a dresden plate. My blades don't match at all.

Lori

Comment

I'm probably the odd ball here, but I don't like the shape cut I feel so comfortable with my 6x24.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Lori is your blade wobbly? I put mine in wrong a couple of times and it went off kilter. Putting that spring and nut on always confuses me. I keep the package around for reference. lol
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have that ruler too. I have the accu-quilt go but, then I won't be able to make the easy way that Jenny makes like her pinwheels, etc. Plus, I don't have the dresden plate die. I do have the dresden plate template, I bought from Jenny

Lori

Comment

I don't think so, I just changed the blade yesterday and it is good and tight

Lori

Comment

Christopher Nejman TV - Scott White - Martelli Notions - YouTube

Lori, I think this will help you a lot! Watch toward the end of the video, he shows that you can cut as well sitting as you can standing.
                  ~Kathy~

Comment

My cutting improved significantly when I bought a creative grids 6x24 ruler. It hugs the fabric when cutting and I don't have the slippage like I used to. I tried the dots on the back of my old ruler, but I like the creative grids best. Easy to see lines with built in grips. Can't recommend them enough! Slowly replacing my ruler collection.

Comment

Originally posted by bkthomas View Post
                      Christopher Nejman TV - Scott White - Martelli Notions - YouTube

Lori, I think this will help you a lot! Watch toward the end of the video, he shows that you can cut as well sitting as you can standing.
                      That rotary cutter is amazing.... Where do you get them?

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Lori - I'm with you. I bought a shape cut pro after reading all the wonderful reviews. I found it more aggravating than helpful and gave up on it almost immediately. So now it sits in my closet. I love, love my 6x24, too, and use it for the majority of my cutting. I bought one of those Gypsy Gripper's that I put on the 6x24 and couldn't be happier.

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                        I'm probably the odd ball here, but I don't like the shape cut I feel so comfortable with my 6x24.
                        Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I don't have the sand paper dots, but I use a small piece of nonslip shelf liner under my ruler and that helps me A LOT to keep my ruler from shifting. I have the shape cut also and I do like it, but I need to do the same and use something to keep it from slipping. I also have to be really careful to get my blade in the beginning of the groove, otherwise I nick up both the ruler and my cutter!

There is a good video, I think by Quilty on youtube, with a lot of tips of getting straight rotary cuts.
                          ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Comment

when one of my quilting ladies had a hard time keeping her ruler straight she bought this to help her . One of the other ladoes has it and loves it for long straight cuts. now half the class own them.
                            QUILT RULER CUTTER - Rotary Cutters & Mats - Supplies - Nancy's Notions

From my own experience I like a smaller ruler and do all my cutting with a 14 x 4 ruler. I find it much easier to manuever with then a longer wider one. that and I have a small cutting area only really big enough for my 18 x 24 mat. I also do all my cutting sitting as my back tires very easy if I have to bend over at that angle and cut for an extended period of time.
                            Last edited by Iris Girl; February 16th, 2014, 07:19 AM.
                            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                            Sigmund Freud

Comment

Also, do you have an older mat? I noticed my cuts were off because the cuts in my mat weren't healing due to fabric build up in them. Cleaned my mat and made a big difference. I'm heading out the door so don't have time to look for the link on cleaning your mat but it's on here somewhere-could that be a factor?

Comment

Working...
                              X