fabric safe for sleepwear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fabric safe for sleepwear

My first grandchild is due in July. I am busy making baby quilts & crib sheets. I recently purchased both flannel and cotton for the crib sheets and both are marked as "unsafe for children's sleepwear". Is it safe to make cribsheets from this fabric? What fabrics are safe for children's sleepwear? I have a pattern for a baby's sleep sack and I want to make sure it is safe for baby to wear at night.

Re: fabric safe for sleepwear

The fabric that is treated as flame retardant will be marked on the bolt.
    The kid next door did a burning science experiment using a bunch of different fabrics and his results [not really scientific] were that the plain cotton fabric burned slower than anything else. The poly stuff he used melted immediately.

Comment

I avoided the treated fabric when I was making my daughters sleep pants. The chemicals scare me!!

Comment

The sleep sack should be perfectly safe just made out of cotton fabric since the baby can not move himself/herself to a flame.
        Years ago, there were a lot more open flame heating and a high risk of a child catching their clothes on fire. Therefore, flame retardant chemicals were developed for children's sleepwear which have a scary list of ingredients. You should be fine to make the bedding with just cotton and flannel that is not treated. Because bedding we buy is not treated.

Comment

I made all my childrens bedding and sleepwear when they were small some was made from cotton and some from cotton knits. No open flames so no worries. Yes the flame retardant fabrics are chemical and scary.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
          X