I have a border design question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a border design question

I'm working on a d9p and I want to sash around the blocks. I'm going to cut my own 1 1/2'' strips. I want the border all the way around to be the same width. Would you cut it a little wider because the binding is going to take some of the width away? Am I over thinking it? I stayed away from sashing but this one won't work with out it.

I feel like this is a dumb question. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Re: I have a border design question

I'd say cut it all the same width and be happy. 1.5" strips will be 1" on the inside blocks after joining to the blocks, so it's going to be pretty small. The outer border will be 1.25" after joining to the quilt, then another .25" for the binding. So it too will be 1".

Comment

If you haven't cut your strips already, maybe just cut them at 2"....?
      ~Kathy~

Comment

Audition your ideas.... Cut practice strips various widths, and lay them next to your quilt.... Fold in to the width it will be before binding, then fold again, to see how it will look with a binding. Lay the binding next to that.

Gee.. I hope this made some kind if sense..... I'm just starting my first cup of coffee...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Lay your uncut border fabric underneath the quilt at the side and pull out a little bit at a time until you find the best layout, then add your seam allowances.

Comment

I am with Snippit, I would cut them all the same width
            Happy Quilting!

Comment

I agree. Cut them the same size.

Originally posted by snippet View Post
              I'd say cut it all the same width and be happy. 1.5" strips will be 1" on the inside blocks after joining to the blocks, so it's going to be pretty small. The outer border will be 1.25" after joining to the quilt, then another .25" for the binding. So it too will be 1".
              Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Thanks for the math Carol! I did do one other quilt with sashing, three strips down a coin, that was easy to figure out. I'm being nervous for nothing I think.

So I will cut them the same size and thanks everyone for holding my hand The next couple of projects I want to do all have sashing so this helped me a lot
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

it needs to be cut the same width as the sashing if you want the finished border to be the same width as the sashing
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                  X