Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with quilting math, please

Hi!

I was planning to do a simple square-in-a-square quilt with sports fabric for my sport-crazy brother, but when I got to the fabric store I was completely taken by a charming baseball panel. I just had to have it, and so on the spot I figured I would cut out the panel boxes and figure out a way to assemble a top combining them with my original idea. But I'm quite the beginner and I really would like someone to check the math before I start cutting!

The panel has large and small squares in it. The large square is 17" raw and the small ones are 6-1/2" raw, both including the seam allowances. I want to put a border/sashing around the small panel for the square-in-a-square effect, and I need to calculate the thickness of the border. I want 2 small squares to add up to the length of the long square.

I figured I need the border of the small square to be 1-5/8", does that sound right to you experts?

Logic is: the big panel will finish to 16-1/2 so each small square must finish to 8-1/4. Small centre square finish at 6" (from 6-1/2 raw) so the border must finish to half of 2-1/4 which is 1-1/8 plus seam allowances is 1-5/8.

So, how's my math?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Help with quilting math, please

I concur!!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Are you going to border each of the small panels on all four sides or will you have only 1 width between the 2. Here's the way I was figuring it, if you have a 2" strip then your 6-1/2" square, then another 2" then another 6-1/2" then another 2" that would be 19". Then subtract 1/2" seam allowances between first border and first square then another 1/2" between first square and middle sashing then 1/2" between middle and bottom square the another between bottom square and bottom sashing would be 2" and 19-2=17. This is just one way to do it. Hope I haven't confused you more.
      Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Hi Vernona,

No, it's not confusing, but I was planning a complete border, all 4 sides, for each small panel. I'm planning to use a few different solids around the various panels.

I take the fact that your explanation made complete sense as an indication that I'm getting the hang of this!

Thanks for taking the time!

Comment

Working...
        X