About batting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About batting

What is a good batting to use on your quilts. I am not sure what to use.

Re: About batting

I just bought some of this: Black Legacy Batting - Batting - Supplies - Nancy's Notions

Haven't used it yet. Suppose to be able to quilt 8 - 10 inches apart. This is for my oldest son's quilt. I was suppose to start on it this week. But, I procrastinated! I will start next week for sure. I will let you know how it goes. Last black batting I used was warm and natural and I did not like how stiff it felt. Hopefully this won't be so stiff. I bought a bolt so it better be!
    Vonnie

Comment

Personally, I like the Hobbs 80/20 and usually buy when it's on sale from Connecting Threads. It is 80% cotton and 20% poly. I often use Warm&White, although it is heavier to work with, but perfectly acceptable for me if I don't have any Hobbs. Quilters's Dream is also a very nice brand, but I have trouble finding it unless I order online.

I tried the Fairfield Brand at Joann's which is 80/20, but I would never use it again. It was nasty and constantly threw out bunches of stuffing and fluff at the needle. I ended up having to use up the rest of it with 2 layers to make some tote bags. Nasty stuff!

I do not use polyester battings. The fluff is nice but it doesn't handle the same way as the cottons and it stretches a lot more; however, I do like it for serger quilts. I'm aiming toward trying a Bamboo batting. It's a little pricey, so I'll wait until I have a special quilt to make.

I've also tried fusible batting on smaller projects, like tote bags and table toppers. It's ok, but a little thin. I prefer a little more substance and thickness for a quilt so I don't use fusible on a whole quilt for that reason.

Comment

I usually use Warm & White and also like Hobbs 80/20.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Warm&White and Hobbs 80/20 if the W&W isn't available to me. I can buy the Hobbs by the yard locally.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Comment

I prefer the Hobbs 80/20. It is a little bit thicker than 100% cotton. To me is gives just a little bit more definition to the quilting. I will only use poly if hand quilting, and I want the extra loft so the quilting stands out even more.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Imuse warm and natural. Also, I just bought a whole roll of Hobbs 80/20. I haven't used it yet.
                Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
                X