Need HELP with Memory Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need HELP with Memory Quilt

I am making a memory quilt for a friend who lost who husband last month. I am using his shirts. Some of these shirts are what I call "Golfing Shirts". They say 100 percent cotton but they are stretchy a bit. Do you know what I am talking about? They are not a quilters cotton like we are used to.
    My Question is should I put a light steam a seam or what on the back of them before I cut them for the quilt? Anyone know what to do?
    Thank you
    Patrice

Re: Need HELP with Memory Quilt

Maybe they need to be treated like t-shirts? I know there are some tutorials. Jenny has one. I haven't learned how to copy links yet.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I think what they use for T-shirt's is Pellon fusible interface. I used some on one of my daughter's onsies for the quilt I'm doing for her. (20year later is better than never!!! LOL ) Made it a little harder to sew thru so I might have done something wrong. But at least it wasn't stretching all over the place anymore.

Comment

There are different weights of fusible interfacing. I would use the lightest weight I could find and fuse them before cutting them. Good Luck - let us know how it goes!
        Donna

Comment

I was gonna say to use heat and bond lite. It isn't as heavy as some. Or any brand of light weight fusible. I don't think I would try it without using some kind of stabilizer.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

I've made several t-shirt quilts and memory quilts. Use the "featherweight" iron-on interfacing to keep the shirts soft and pliable. I've found Steam-a-Seam to be too thick and makes the shirts hard to sew.
            Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Working...
            X