X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lhayes1976
    replied
    Re: Errghh! Thread Shredding!

Thanks, it's by far from perfect, but I'm really pleased with it. It's a sweet design for a baby quilt, I think I'll be using it a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Quiltfreestyle
    replied

Originally posted by lhayes1976 View Post
    I tried everything -- it would do fine on my practice quilt sandwich, I really think it had something to do with the seams and baste spray. The heavy duty needle and slowing down did the trick. Here.s a close up of the quilting.[ATTACH=CONFIG]68496[/ATTACH]
    Your quilting is lovely!
    Good job!

Leave a comment:

• ozziepuppy
    replied

Originally posted by lhayes1976 View Post
    I tried everything -- it would do fine on my practice quilt sandwich, I really think it had something to do with the seams and baste spray. The heavy duty needle and slowing down did the trick. Here.s a close up of the quilting.[ATTACH=CONFIG]68496[/ATTACH]
    Wow! Beautiful! I was going to suggest Superior "So Fine" thread as it is extremely strong but I see you have it under control!

Leave a comment:

• lhayes1976
    replied

I tried everything -- it would do fine on my practice quilt sandwich, I really think it had something to do with the seams and baste spray. The heavy duty needle and slowing down did the trick. Here.s a close up of the quilting.image.jpg
    Last edited by lhayes1976; February 16, 2014, 06:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Quiltfreestyle
    replied

I hate to admit this, but the only time I had trouble with the thread shredding, it turned out I had put in the new needle the wrong way...
    Wouldn't hurt to check this,,

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Quilting thread really needs Top Stitch 90-14 needles. Also, what kind of thread are you using? Have you tried a different thread? Try King Tut thread & see if it works better for you. I've also had good luck with the plain colors of Signature 40 wt. thread. I've also used YLI, but it's linty. It creates more fuzz than King Tut. Make sure the feed dogs are totally disengaged & your stitch length is set at 0. Good luck, JCY

Leave a comment:

• Peggi
    replied

I usually use a size 16 needle on my 1500s. The needle holes go away after washing.

Leave a comment:

• lilamath
    replied

I found Sewer's Aid at Golden Needles - the local quilt store in Rockport, TX. It last such a long time that I haven't checked other places.

Leave a comment:

• lilamath
    replied

I found it on the notions wall at the local quilt store in Rockport TX. The quilter recommending it was from Nebraska.

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

Oh that is so frustrating! The quilt looks quite nice .

Leave a comment:

• lhayes1976
    replied

I bought the largest heavy duty needle I could find and went real slow and that helped quite a bit. I was worried the needle holes would show, but no too bad. It's ready for binding-- this little quilt has been a headache! Here's a couple pic of the quilting--first time I've done an all over pattern other than stippling. I really like it and once my thread issue improved it fairly quickly.image.jpg

Leave a comment:

• lhayes1976
    replied

Can I buy it locally or have to order online?

Leave a comment:

• lilamath
    replied

Have any of you tried "Sewer's Aid"? It is from Prym-Dritz. I put in on my needle hole--it is sort of like a Teflon coating. I found out about it from another quilter at a quilting class, and the quilt store that offered the class had it. It really helps keep the thread from shredding for me. It comes in a 1/2 oz. bottle, but I've had mine for 6 years.

Leave a comment:

• lhayes1976
    replied

I getting ready to go and buy some jean needles. Hopefully that will take care of it. It's really weird how that thread is just balling up and breaking. For as much trouble as I've had, it doesn't look too awfully bad from so many starts and stops.

Leave a comment:

• buckeyequilter
    replied

I have the same machine and when it's not on the frame I always spray baste my quilt and have never had a problem. Are you doing FMQ? Make sure the lever for the feed dogs is all the way to the left. One time I thought it was but it was actually on the one next to it which is the pin-feed and kept snagging my fabric.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X