Bias border?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bias border?

Has anyone ever done a bias border? My top is made on point and the border fabric would look more effective if it was on the bias. Would a narrow strip of fusible tape on the outside edge be enough to stabilize it? Or, should I line the whole border with interfacing? Or, am I mad to even think about it?

Re: Bias border?

If you're not mad now you would be by the time you tried to attach a bias border! It's hard to get a straight border to lie flat. I'd hate to try it with a border all cut on the bias. Just my opinion!
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I have never done a bias binding & don't plan to start anytime soon. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
        I have never done a bias binding & don't plan to start anytime soon. JCY
        There's a trick to making bias binding. It isn't hard to make once you know the weird way it needs to be made. I used to make it all the time before someone told me I didn't have to. I thought it was the only binding "acceptable." You do need bias binding for a quilt with scalloped edges. But a bias border would have me going crazy! Too much stretching even if you do pin the heck out of it.
        Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I wouldn't try it. I love working with bias binding. Would a scalloped border work for you? That gives you some experience with a bias border without being frustrating.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

You could try starching the fabric before you cut it. Then after cutting the fabric, do a stay stitch about 1/8" from edge of fabric. I would also use spray adhesive (like 505 spray) when making the quilt sandwich then press with an iron afterwards to really keep it from shifting.

I have done a lot of blocks with bias edges but I have never done a border. Let us know how it turns out.
            Vonnie

Comment

You are talking about a border, not the binding, correct? I think you'll have a hard time with it if you do decide to go with it. I'd fuse an interfacing on the whole thing, and starch it good.
              Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

The only way I'd attempt it is to do as Madampolo (Joyce) suggested. If I was doing this I'd try a sample first before I wasted a lot of fabric.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

There are soooo many fabric choices out there. I think I'd make life easier and use something else and save that fabric for another project. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised we don't see more fabrics with the pattern printed on it on the bias. That way we'd get the look without the hassle. There's probably a reason why.
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I agree with Rebecca that more fabrics should be printed so they appear to be on the bias. This would really be great for stripes and plaids.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I'll throw an idea out. What if you ironed the whole piece of interfacing and then cut it? It's all stabilized and should not get all wonky on you.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you for all your replies and ideas.
                        Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                        I'll throw an idea out. What if you ironed the whole piece of interfacing and then cut it? It's all stabilized and should not get all wonky on you.
                        I had thought of this but wondered if it would make the quilt too stiff. Another thought I had was to press a strip of interfacing overlapping where the bias cut will be so that each edge is stabilized.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliza View Post
                          Thank you for all your replies and ideas.

I had thought of this but wondered if it would make the quilt too stiff. Another thought I had was to press a strip of interfacing overlapping where the bias cut will be so that each edge is stabilized.
                          I'm taking a break from flash sewing and was looking up some interfacings. Pellon carries a sheer weight made for clothing. Here is there list of products. Hope that helps
                          http://pellonprojects.files.wordpres...eprintable.pdf
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            I'm taking a break from flash sewing and was looking up some interfacings. Pellon carries a sheer weight made for clothing. Here is there list of products. Hope that helps
                            http://pellonprojects.files.wordpres...eprintable.pdf
                            Thanks, Lorie. I will see what I can find in the local shops.

Comment

I did a bias border on one of my first quilts. Back then I had no idea the bias might cause problems. Didn't have any trouble at all, the border lays flat, the corners are all square. It's still one of the favorite quilts I've done. So don't give up on the idea too soon. Maybe use some starch (which I didn't) and be really careful with pinning and sewing (which I did).

Comment

Working...
                              X