jelly roll race quilt problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jelly roll race quilt problem

I just made my first jelly roll race quilt top using 2 jelly rolls (40 strips each) for a queen size quilt. I have it to the point where it is approximately 108" long and 55" wide. That is way too long and not really quite as wide as i would like, but if i fold and stitch it again, i will have basically the same size only crosswise. I plan to add borders anyway. The only way i see to get the size right is to cut off quite a bit from the length. Can someone tell me if this is normal or did i do something wrong? Thanks for any help!!

Re: jelly roll race quilt problem

You can't enlarge a jelly roll quilt to queen size just by using two jelly rolls. Jean explains it well in her user notes.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/usernote.php?u=10613
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I think you need to sew one more seam and that should give you the right width. From there you need to add more strips to make it al long as you want it. Please refer to Jean's notes - she's our jellyroll expert. The link is right above here.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I'm not sure how you got your top to this size, when you are finished sewing, you should have 32 rows or 64", but you have 108". How many rows do you have? I think you sewed one more set of rows than you needed. I always have to add rows on to my 32 to make my queen size quilts long enough, but now you have all your strips sewed into the top. Not sure what to tell you. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you. You could take off some rows to make it the right length, and divide that portion into two sets of rows and add them to the sides of the 55" portion to make it wider, then add your overall borders. This would be the easiest way to fix it.

It would look sort of like this.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 12, 2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X