Making a quilt square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a quilt square

I have the worst time trying to make my quilts square. I finished making the summer breeze quilt. and I tried to square it up but the top is one size the middle a different width and the bottom something else. I don't know where to go from here. HELP.

Re: Making a quilt square

I measure the quilt top to bottom in the middle, then cut the lengthwise border that length. Do the same for the width. Ease the seems in to those lengths. Others will say take the average measurements of top, middle and bottom. I can't comment on whether that is better. I did the last two quilts this way, and I was pretty pleased.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyM View Post
      I measure the quilt top to bottom in the middle, then cut the lengthwise border that length. Do the same for the width. Ease the seems in to those lengths. Others will say take the average measurements of top, middle and bottom. I can't comment on whether that is better. I did the last two quilts this way, and I was pretty pleased.
      I used to hate trying to square everything, but since I started doing it like you described, It's pretty much square when I'm finished.

Comment

Same here. I took the advice on the forum of just measuring through the center both ways. Those are the ones I use to cut my borders. It has worked great so far
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I also measure only through the middle of the quilt top for the border length and it's working so far. I lay the quilt out smooth, lay the border strips down the middle, smooth everything out, then cut the borders to match the length (or width) of the quilt.
          *~* Myrna *~*
          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I also do the middle measurement and make my borders this size and have had great success with that

Comment

Have you already quilted the quilt? Once the quilt is quilted I use a 15" square ruler to square up my corners, line up one of the marks on the ruler along your outside block both side to side and up and down and then trim with a rotary cutter. Do each corner then trim the four sides between your squared corners. Then put the binding on.
              There are those that wet the quilt, lay it out on the floor and pull into a square/rectangular shape, let it dry then trim the edges and bind.

Hope that is fairly clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                There are those that wet the quilt, lay it out on the floor and pull into a square/rectangular shape, let it dry then trim the edges and bind.
                Claire would you suggest that for just a top? My dd made a zig-zag with the rectangles and it so out of wack. It's really pretty and you can't tell until you fold it. To get it square so much will have to be cut off.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I wanted to put a 3 inch border around this quilt before I quilt it. I looks square after I put the first boarder on I think any suggestion. Please let me know if you have any. I am taking a couple of days off from quilting trying to set up a new quilting room and my mother-in-law was taken to the hospital this evening. I need to take a break this quilt doesn't have blocks I mad the summer breeze quilt looked easy on the tutorial . Thanks for any ideas you can give me.
                  Thank you
                  Tina Walsh

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                    Claire would you suggest that for just a top? My dd made a zig-zag with the rectangles and it so out of wack. It's really pretty and you can't tell until you fold it. To get it square so much will have to be cut off.
                    I have not done this myself and think it is really for quilts that are already quilted but you could give it a try. Maybe just dampen it and spread it out square without too much tugging would help. Lots of pulling would probably just stretch the bias that much more.

Comment

I square up after quilting. When sewing on borders I just sew them on - don't measure, just have a long length of fabric and sew.... guess I have been lucky? hehe
                      Murphy :icon_wave:

www.quiltparadigm.blogspot.com

Quilting forever, housework - whenever!

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                        I have not done this myself and think it is really for quilts that are already quilted but you could give it a try. Maybe just dampen it and spread it out square without too much tugging would help. Lots of pulling would probably just stretch the bias that much more.
                        Thanks, I'll talk to her about it. She is in that 'I'm over it' stage. I offer to help but she wants to do it. It will be her first UFO ten years from now. lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                        X