It is do or die time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is do or die time!

Hi Gals; I have just finished my granddaughters chevron quilt. Made with charm packs and unwashed white fabric. It has been quite a challenge from the start...scorched fabric and puckers galore and less than perfect stitching. I need to wash it now but need your advice on how to do this. I will use color catchers for sure and a gentle cycle but what temperature water and should I use fabric softner? Do I put it in the dryer? Would appreciate any advice here! ...Thanks Val

Re: It is do or die time!

It depends on using a dryer. I like how nice they smell after drying outside, but if you put it in the dryer it gets the great look of shrinking just a little bit. If you do use the dryer, make sure you check for color bleeding first, just to be safe. Probably won't happen with the color catchers, but better safe than sorry.
    I always use cold water, and have no idea if fabric softener makes a difference?

Comment

I would use cold water. I dry my quilts in dryer because some where I read line drying can pull and break threads (not sure this true). I set my dryer for 15 or 20 minutes.. then take quilt out and fluff it a little.. and keep repeating this until it is dry..can be time consuming. This is just what I would do...not necessarily the correct way!
      sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

Just checking - it's quilted right?

If it's a large quilt, I take it to the laundromat and use a front loading washer. That way the agitator won't tear it up. I do like Cindy and dry it for a few minutes then readjust it. I get it about 80 - 90 percent dry then spread it out on the bed to finish drying.
        Vonnie

Comment

When I have dark colors I use 2or 3 of the color catchers(depending on size), wash in cold water with small amount of unscented detergent, dry on warm, stop the dryer every 10 minutes or so to rearrange and take it out before completely dry. I have done with and without fabric softener and it didn't seem to matter. I think someone said using liquid softener could affect the color catchers. I have washed black and white, dark purple and white, navy and white(the navy came off on my fingers and gloves when sewing and did fade) using this method and have not had any color running. I do not prewash my fabrics except flannel.
          Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Thank You ladies. I would love to hang it outside but it is minus 19 today so to the dryer it goes. I think I will just admire it for today in case things go wrong when I wash it (haha)

Comment

You did quilt it first right? Finished it before washing?

Comment

The weight of a wet quilt can harm stitches if it is hung like normal clothes on a line. If it is dried outside it is better to drape it over a couple lines to support the weight more evenly. That said at 19 degrees, you want it dry, not frozen.

I machine wash and dry all my quilts, even the old ones my grandma made, and they do just fine. Color catchers are your friend. Don't worry too much about your quilt and check it before it goes in the dryer for any bleeding, just in case, and rewash without drying it. It's the heat of the dryer that sets stains.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

I made a quilt for my step-daughter for Christmas. It had light tan and red on the border. I used Tide Free, cold water and three color catchers. There was red on the color catchers but no bleeding on the quilt. I dried on low in the dryer, fluffing frequently. I am in New York State so no drying outside for quite awhile.
                  Ann

Comment

I use cold water for washing on the delicate cycle. I fluff the quilt in the dryer on the delicate cycle for no more than 5 min. Then I lay it out. I put down opened garbage bags (any plastic will do), covered by large or beach towels. I spread the damp quilt on the floor on the towels. Smooth it out & position the edges carefully so it's all squared up. If you line dry a quilt, it will be misshapen. I have never used a Color Catcher b/c I cannot tolerate the heavy fragrance. JCY

Comment

I throw in in the wash with color catchers on the same cycle I do most of my laundry...warm/cold setting. Then check for bleeding and if it's all set, I throw it in the dryer on normal (medium) heat and let it go til it's dry. Never had a problem. I like to wash them the way I think everyone else will when they receive it. They always come out looking beautiful with the "crinkle" that I love so much.
                      Cil
                      A quilt is a blanket of love
                      http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                      http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I always wash and rinse in cold water...gentle or normal cycle..... I use fabric softener, too.

I out my quilts in the dryer on Perm. Press.... Works for me...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                        X