Help in setting up to spray baste my quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help in setting up to spray baste my quilt

Eli's twin quilt is the biggest thing I've ever attempted to quilt myself and I can't figure out how to set up for it. I have two sets of saw horses, a door in storage and a nice space of concrete floor in the storage room. I don't want to work on the floor - knee problems - but I will if no other option. I don't want to spray baste on the hardwood or the carpet - or anywhere near. My thinking is: saw horses- door- bigger board over door- quilt. The quilt is about 68" X 84". I thought I'd get plywood that size but DH says it won't fit down the stairs and it would be heavy. I could get sheets of picture matting board or ??? Is there anything at the Orange store I could use? How does everyone else set up (BTW - this is MN with about 6" of ice on the driveway and -10 or worse every day this week- can't do this outside).

The other thing is - should I just get the top board ½ the length - say 45" X 70"? and spray half at a time? I've puzzled over this for 2 days now. Thanks for all your help!

Re: Help in setting up to spray baste my quilt

I've seen a video where a woman hung her, I think, King size quilt on the wall to spray baste. Could this be an option for you?

Free Motion Quilting, Beginner Tutorial 2 (of 4) "Spray Basting Wall" - YouTube

Comment

I do it on a queen size bed with newspapers around the edges to catch the overspray and protect my bedding. Works great.
      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I like the way Ann Petersen does it. She teaches Craftsy classes.

Tutorial - Basting a Large Quilt - Obsessive quilter

I spray out on my deck. You could in your garage. I have folded my top into fourths and lightly sprayed the back of the top, refold, spray, etc until I get it all done. Key here is to lightly spray so you can easily readjust. I do the backing the same way. I don't spray the batting - it absorbs too much. I use my living room floor because I have no other area big enough for a large quilt. I bend over - can't get down on my knees. It helps if you can get a younger person to help out. My biggest quilt so far has been 90" X 108". Since I lightly sprayed, I was able to reposition the top until I had no wrinkles. Then I flipped it over and made sure the back was wrinkle free.

Here's where I strayed from Ann's tutorial. I figured I had thick batting, so I just ironed the quilt while it was on the carpet. Had to do it in stages because I was bending over. But it worked. My quilt did not have any puckers top or bottom. I ironed both sides.
        Vonnie

Comment

Thanks, Vonnie, Loonwatcher and Pandabear!
          Vonnie - that link was good and although I won't be spraying outside in this clime for many months yet, I did learn to iron and "heat bond" after I get it adhered.

Pandabear - I really liked this link and am thinking about how I could move the freezer out of the way to make room on the wall to baste. Nice idea - but still figuring it out. My storage area is lined with shelves and old kitchen cupboards and the cord to the freezer might not give me much room. Hmmmm - other thoughts anyone?

Comment

Here's what my friend Nancy says to do to pin-baste. It will work with basting spray with some modifications. Make sure your backing, batting and top will fit together nicely (don't ask me how I know this!)

You still have that big dining room table? Once you get going on this, it will be done by dinner time if you can keep at it. Get the chairs out of the way.

Cover the table with an old sheet or something to pad the finish, it doesn't have to go all the way to the floor. (Cover that with plastic dropcloth) I would use the cheapies from Walmart or Home Depot, Dollar store or wherever. You want to protect your floor and furniture from over-spray.

Get your piece of luan plywood bigger than your table surface. It doesn't matter if your quilt is bigger that the board or not as long as it overhangs the table by a few inches on all sides. Set that on top of the plastic that is on top of the table.

Get your backing and find the center on all 4 sides - us a frixon pen, pins whatever you need to do to be sure you have it centered properly . Lay it out on the table top-covered with Luan plywood. If the quilt is too big for the plywood let it hang over and try to get it as close to the center as possible. Clamp it down using binder clips or carpenters clamps, whatever you have handy to the edge of the Luan Plywood.

Spray your basting spray. Make sure your windows and doors are open for ventilation.

Get the batting ready to put on. Make sure you find the center of the batting (both ways). Lay it over the backing; Check the edges of the backing/batting combination to make sure it's fitting properly. You do have some time to make adjustments. Once you're satisfied, smooth it into place.

Undo the clamps and re-do them with the batting and backing together.

Double check the fit of the top to the backing and batting (again don't ask how I know this). What I do here is lay the top down before spraying, and fold back 1/2 half at a time to spray the batting, fold the top back down and smooth it out, then fold the other half back and spray it. Once you're satisfied the center part is done, move it to accommodate the overhanging parts.

I'm too chicken to spray inside the house. I do have a table that I use inside the garage to spray basting, but only in the summer. It's way too cold outside to spray in the garage here. This winter I've been using this method for pin-basting only and it's been ok, no major puckers/problems as yet that I've found.

Good luck!
            Kathy Crofoot
            http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

Comment

What a great idea, I already put it in my Bookmarks and when I'm ready I will give it a try. Thank you so much for sharing.
              Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Comment

Thank you so much, Kathy! But why do you not dare do it inside? I'm not sure I should either then? New wood floors and windows /curtains and all that make me nervous. I was thinking that putting two of the white tables together might be a thought - but down in the basement. Hmmm - still not sure - what do you think about the gap between the two tables? Maybe I should just put on a warm jacket and go out to the garage.
                The rest of the instructions are great - I'm gonna get me some clamps and follow your directions.

Comment

The fumes and overspray are the reason I won't do in the house. I have two cats who like to 'help' me when I do any basting inside. We just got new carpet last year in the living room - the only place with a space big enough for extra tables. If you do plastic and leave the windows open for a bit, you should be ok. The temperatures in the garage here are the same as outside, and it's very dark in our garage without the door open, so that's out in the winter time.

The gap between the tables could work to your advantage, but I was thinking of your dining room table upstairs. Then you wouldn't have to be concerned about getting a big piece of plywood downstairs!. I think Nancy does 4' x 4' piece and just keeps moving the quilt until its all basted.

I bet the space next to your sliding glass door in the kitchen is big enough for the two white tables. The basting spray stuff does clean up with soap and water.
                  Kathy Crofoot
                  http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X