Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

I am going to a couple quilting retreats over the next couple of months and I want to do 'goody' bags for my friends of favorite quilting items that may not have necessarily started out to be sewing/quilting items. I'm wondering if you have any unusual-use items you could share?

I'll start:
    1) Bobbin Bikinis - teeny-tiny fuzzy pony tail holders that fit nicely on bobbins and spools to keep the thread under control2014-02-08 06.15.05.jpg2014-02-08 06.16.05.jpg I got these at Wal-mart, a package of 3 tubes (36) for about $4.00. I found a package of 100 at the party store for .99 last night.
    2) Seam ripper - an eyebrow shaper. I got this tip from right here on the forum. 2014-02-08 06.17.07.jpg Package of 3 at Wal-mart for $1.97.

3) Thread pick-up aka Lint Roller. Especially useful after using the seam ripper! 2014-02-08 06.17.26.jpg

I have more, but want to see what you can come up with.
    Kathy Crofoot
    http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

Re: What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

Locking forceps. I use them for grabbing the thread to pull it through the needle of the machine (good eyesight but huge man hands), I also use it to help flip things inside out while sewing. Also a lot of other uses around the house so I own several pairs.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Re: What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

Many quilters use the toe separators that are used for pedicures to keep bobbins organized. You can get them at the Dollar Store. I couldn't quilt without the sticky lint roller. I use rubberized shelf liner to stabilize my ruler when cutting with the rotary cutter. Just cut out a circle, rectangle or a heart and slide it under the 'off' edge of the ruler. If you can find the red liner it would be cute to cut out some hearts. Super cheap and handy gifties!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Frixion pens. Pipe cleaners to get in the nooks & crannys of my machine.

Comment

1.a nylon kitchen scrubbie, to clean your mats, ironing boards off. works great.
          2.a tube of chapstick . put chapstick on lips, then run your thread over the lips, thread the needle.so awesome works great.
          I may post more later. I didn't know about the "seam ripper" at wallyworld. Thanks for the tip.
          Have fun with your goody bags,

Comment

I am with Kathy.
            sigpic
            Hugs Ann

Comment

Harbor Freight carries these little metal rods with magnets at the end - so handy for finding lost pins and needles. One other thing is to buy small bowls from a thrift store and glue magnets to the bottom for pin holders. Small tubes of hand lotion are also nice to have handy for dry hands.

Comment

Color Catchers!
                Maybe 5 or 6, wrapped in a bow...
                I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

Originally posted by EsGrandma View Post
                  Harbor Freight carries these little metal rods with magnets at the end - so handy for finding lost pins and needles. One other thing is to buy small bowls from a thrift store and glue magnets to the bottom for pin holders. Small tubes of hand lotion are also nice to have handy for dry hands.
                  Harbor Freight also has 4" magnetic parts bowls that make great pin holders and a small hand tool with a point on each end that can be used as a stiletto.
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

What about some bamboo wooden skewers? I buy a package for a dollar at dollar tree. Cut in half and you have a gzillion little fabric pointers to help move your fabric along while sewing. Keeps your fingers away from that needle and helps with those seams that pop up. I could see 2 of these in your goody bags. Best of all if your need would hit the wooden stiletto and crack it, you got a whole bunch of them.

That is the word I was looking for " stiletto"
                    Last edited by deedum; February 8, 2014, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MRoy View Post
                      Harbor Freight also has 4" magnetic parts bowls that make great pin holders and a small hand tool with a point on each end that can be used as a stiletto.
                      I love harbor freight. I have so many their items. The long long scissors for about $3 is great to cut batting with.

Comment

When I saw this, I was going to put down my #1 favorite thing right now, which is the eyebrow shaper. That is the best thing ever!!!
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Bamboo skewers for sure. I use them all the time to push out corners. Works great!

Very informative thread by the way. I never heard about the eyebrow shaper. Makes sense to me.

Comment

I use tweezers by my sewing machine...each machine has its' own tweezer and I don't leave home without one when going to a class...many uses

Comment

I use a grapefruit spoon (has little teeth along the edge for cutting through grapefruit) to close all my basting pins.

Comment

Working...
                              X