• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soul60s
    replied
    Re: Help with stitches.....

Originally posted by JCY View Post
    Could it be the fabric? That looks like thin, coarse, loosely woven material. Just a thought. See if the stitches are any better on good quality cotton fabric. JCY
    I had the same thing happen on the robert Kaufman fabric.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Could it be the fabric? That looks like thin, coarse, loosely woven material. Just a thought. See if the stitches are any better on good quality cotton fabric. JCY

Leave a comment:

• Annierose
    replied

Call the dealer you bought the machine from. I've found them very willing to walk through things over the phone.

Leave a comment:

• soul60s
    replied

Originally posted by PeggyM View Post
    I had that same problem with my Brother, but it either corrected itself or I messed with the right thing. I think it was just a hair adjustment on the top tension. Good luck! Either that or blowing out every orifice in the machine.
    The lines on the sample were with different tensions. Im wondering if I put in a washer in the bobbin area if that would help.

Leave a comment:

• Racing Nana
    replied

I was going with the timing as well. (this gets real ugly when the timing is out on a serger)
    I believe only your service shop can do that adjustment though.

Leave a comment:

• mary3100
    replied

When I had a similar problem dealer said it was timing. Had dealer send it in. I ended up getting another machine so I have a back up for when stuff goes wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Genny
    replied

I'm wondering if its the fabric you're stitching on. Did you try something else to see if it does this?

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

Is the bobbin top load or front load? If it is front load, meaning you put it in a little silver bobbin case and then fit that into your machine, look for a little screw where the thread goes through the case. Tighten that just a tiny bit. You can probably turn it with your thumbnail, a quarter turn at most and see if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• KathyCrofoot
    replied

Joanne,

Try re-winding your bobbin and turning your top thread the opposite way on the spool pin. By re-winding the bobbin from the current bobbin to a new (different) one, you're reversing the twist on the thread (I think). You said you're using expensive Mettler thread - have you tried the less expensive thread like Coats & Clark. Mind you I don't necessarily recommend that for piecing - just as a sample to see if that is what the problem is? Some machines are very finicky about the thread. My old Montgomery Wards machine likes the cheap stuff, and my newer Elna will shred it like nobody's business. One last thought is it the same type of bobbin that you've always used? I bought some new ones a couple of years ago and they just wouldn't play nice with my machine. Come to find out, they weren't the right type for my Elna.

If all that fails, have you tried taking the bobbin assembly out and checking for pieces of lint or broken thread? I had mine into the shop and that's all it was, a piece of thread caught in the bobbin assembly. I know you said you've cleaned the machine. If all that is good I'd say it's probably the timing is off.

I use universal 75/11 needles for piecing and Top stitching 90/14 for free motion quilting.

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

I know that this is going to sound very dumb but are you using the right type of thread? I had some thread that was quilting thread I was using and getting some odd stitches - what I found out was it was HAND quilting thread and neither one of my machines liked it. Interesting part of it was the thread just said quilting thread not handquilting thread.

I hope that you can get the problem figured out soon.

Leave a comment:

• Mpyles
    replied

Here are a couple of sites for trouble shooting...first one is thread weight vs needle and other is just a solution site...

Combination of fabric, thread and needle : Brother

SEWING MACHINE COMMON TROUBLES HELPFUL HINTS | eBay

Leave a comment:

• PeggyM
    replied

I had that same problem with my Brother, but it either corrected itself or I messed with the right thing. I think it was just a hair adjustment on the top tension. Good luck! Either that or blowing out every orifice in the machine.

Leave a comment:

• soul60s
    replied

Originally posted by vchale View Post
    So frustrating. Sounds like you've tried everything. Sorry.
    I tried everything I know so that's why I posted here. Obviously I am missing something.

Leave a comment:

• vchale
    replied

So frustrating. Sounds like you've tried everything. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• WVGranny
    replied

I am loss, hopefully someone can help you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X