Pre wash or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre wash or not

I am a new quilter and do not wash my fabric before I quilt. I prefer to wah the quilt when I have completed it. But unfortunately I just learned a hard lesson the hard way. I just completed a quilt with a lot of appliqué in golds, rust, beige and black. I chose a black printed fabric for the back and binding and after completing the quit I washed it on delicate in cold water and woolite. I always hang my quilts to dry and unfortunately the black ran through the threads on the light beige/yellow patterns. Does anyone know of anything that I can do to possibly wash it out? Or do I just chalk this up as a lesson learned, wash all dark colors before using. Just a note, the fabric was very good quality purchased from an Amish quilt store where I buy most all of my fabrics. Discouraged : )

Re: Pre wash or not

I had a friend that this happened to with red fabric. She washed it again with several color catchers and it took out the bleeding. I also saw something yesterday at Hancocks that said it removed colors that had run. I can't remember what it was called, but it was with the other stain removers in the store.

Comment

There is a product in the laundry department called Color Catchers. you put two in your water when you wash a quilt and it will attract any dye that runs. Since you didn't put your quilt in the dryer I think there's a good chance that you can fix it by washing it again with Color Catchers. The same process that made the dye migrate will likely do the same a second time. I would give this try.

Woolite should not be used to wash your quilts. I used it a few times on mine and it made them fade. I have since heard the same thing from other quilters. Just use a mild liquid detergent and you should be fine.

Precuts should not be washed before you use them.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Since you haven't dried it in the dryer, you might want to try washing it again with Shout Color catchers. Good luck.
        Wendy
        http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I just this week finished a quilt with a lot of black/white. The black ran like crazy. I've washed it twice with 2 color catchers each time. Both times the catchers came out a very dark gray. I'll toss it in again with 2 more catchers tonight.while the black didn't seem to discolor the white or golds, the color catchers did their job.

Comment

I don't prewash anything but flannel. I made a red and white quilt and washed it with a few color catchers and it came out beautiful. You should be fine if you wash it again with color catchers.
            Cil
            A quilt is a blanket of love
            http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
            http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I just purchased Amish Black 5" squares. I am new to this, and I am freaking out. Put them in plastic tub and kept rinsing them (in the tub) Zillions of tiny black threads! What to do now? I have machine washed fabrics-put in laundry bags with shout color catchers (I think that is what they are called), and dried same way (without the color catchers), and have had no trouble. I use spray starch and spritz of water bottle with dry iron. Normally red and pink give me trouble. But get it done. But this black is the worst. Help!
              Last edited by 2-step hexie; September 22, 2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. It is frustrating to spend all that time making a quilt and at the end feel that it is ruined 😥. I do not pre-wash my fabric ... and I make several Quilts of Valor utilizing reds and blues with white; I wash on cool/cold, small amount of detergent and use the color catchers, and air fluff/dry in my dryer until just slightly damp, then lay flat to finish drying. I had bleeding happen to me for the first time last year with a wedding throw I made, only it was the teal colored fabric I used. I was devastated!!! I read online (some forum) to rewash and use a small amount of Dawn dishsoap. As Dawn "pulls out" grease, people swore by it to pull out the extra dye and not redeposit it in the fabric. So I tried it along with more color catchers -- what did I have to lose now. For the most part, it did work; but I think the fabric was bad/cheap. I had purchased it from an estate sale, so had no idea of brand, etc. Needless to say, after all of this, I went to my room and threw out any remaining pieces of this teal fabric as I didn't want to go through this again! Wishing you luck in whatever you try.

The other thing that came to mind is are you washing in a "regular" top-load machine? Quilts should be covered entirely with the water.

Albie from Nebraska

Comment

Retayne is good for any fabric that bleeds, while Synthropol is good for removing any bleeds.
                  She who dies with the most quilts is......
                  Still dead.
                  What's your hurry?

Comment

Working...
                  X