WOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOF

I am totally confused being a newbie........a few of the patterns I have say cut a 2 1/2 inch strip x the WOF.....every piece I have is a different width.....so what does that mean?

Re: WOF

Normally quilting cotton is 42 to 44" wide. It can vary, even in jelly rolls of the same manufacturer.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Estrogen....most quilt/cotton fabrics are 44" (width of the fabric). So, when a pattern states 2 1/2 inch strip x the WOF...it could be a strip 2.5 by 44 inches. When you purchase your fabrics, on the end of the bolt will state how wide the fabric is. If you're not sure, have the clerk cutting your fabric double check it for you. Most jelly roll strips are this measurement. I hope this helps!
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Wof is width of fabric. Like Karen said it is usually 42 - 44" wide selvedge to selvedge (sp?).
        Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Any pattern that calls for WOF just want you to do just that....cut the full width. Sometimes they will have you subcut from those strips, and subcuts are usually based on 42-45" widths. Most times there is always a piece leftover from sub cutting, so the width is not an issue. Check your pattern...sometimes they will tell you in the beginning what width they are basing the pattern on. If a specific measurement is needed, they will let you know.
          Hope this helped you more than confuse you.
          Cil
          A quilt is a blanket of love
          http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
          http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I'm trying to make the yellow brick road pattern and the pattern calls for strips 2 1/2 " by 21 inches but all the fabric that was cut by the quilt store for it is only 18 inches wide......what should I do? just make more strips?

Comment

Originally posted by estrogen View Post
              I'm trying to make the yellow brick road pattern and the pattern calls for strips 2 1/2 " by 21 inches but all the fabric that was cut by the quilt store for it is only 18 inches wide......what should I do? just make more strips?
              Are you measuring from selvedges to selvedge? Sounds like you bought 1/2 yard and are measuring length of fabric rather than width. I've never seen fabric that's 18 inches wide.

Comment

the quilt shop cut the fabric for me and I'm measuring from cut end to selvage end is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by estrogen View Post
                  the quilt shop cut the fabric for me and I'm measuring from cut end to selvage end is that correct?
                  No. Width of fabric is selvage to selvage. You should be able to get 7 strips out of 18 inches.
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

I can't believe the store steered you so badly. I would go back and say what the heck? lol I'm actually serious.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hi. Is it possible you may be measuring backwards? When you bought the fabric, did you have the yellow brick road pattern and ask for fat quarters? Because what you are describing might be a fat quarter - these are normally 18" long and then about 22" wide (half the width of the fabric). So in addition to the 18" measurement, what is the other measurement?

Normally the only time a fabric store cuts fabric by WoF, it is for a FQ. Otherwise you get the full WOF. Hope that makes sense.
                      Debbie

Comment

Did you buy fat quarters?
                        Mary
                        SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Sounds like she bought fat quarters and cut length wise rather than width wise. If the store cut the 2 1/2" strips for you, they did it the wrong way.

Does anyone have the pattern she is talking about? If so, can you look and see if these strips are sewn together then cut again?
                          Vonnie

Comment

I thought you had to buy this pattern. There might be a hint of something free and I thought I saw it before.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yell...w=1080&bih=492

here is something

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/244390717251815500/
                            Last edited by Hulamoon; February 7, 2014, 07:43 AM.
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Did you see in hulamoon's first link that there were lots of references to this being a 'fat quarter quilt' so maybe that's what the fabric store was cutting for??

Comment

Working...
                              X