About binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About binding

I quilted my quilt and it turned out ok. Now I am getting ready to do the binding. I have watching different ways to do it on youtube. They all do it different. I want to do it all on the sewing machine what side should I start on front or back?

Re: About binding

Start on the back if doing it all by machine.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

Why the back? Curious minds want to know.
      Mary
      SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

And if you are machine stitching one side and hand sewing the other side is it the same?
        Mary
        SW Missouri

Comment

Here's Jenny's best binding tutorial. I've tried it a few times & it worked great every time except once...but it was because I didn't measure correctly. I think on the video for machine sewn binding she suggest to sew binding to the back 1st and fold around to the front. Good Luck.

The Ultimate Quilt Binding Tutorial - YouTube
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I do my binding on the machine. I sew on the back then pull around to the front. I think it makes for a prettier quilt front, because the stitching shows on the back instead of the front.

Comment

If machine binding the entire thing you would not want to see the missed binding stitches on the front. If hand sewing if you sew to the front and turn it to the back, there will be no stitches on the front at all.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Ok thanks for the info..I am a sew the first side on then hand bind the back.
                Mary
                SW Missouri

Comment

I sew the binding on the front first. Then I fold it over to the back. I use the hem gauge & measure exactly 14 cm. (or between 1/2 & 5/8"). When it's pinned, I press it. I do SITD next to the folded binding on the front. If you've measured carefully, you'll catch the edge of the binding on the back. I do all my baby quilts by machine. Noah's Ark #2 - Stitching - Jan., 2014 003.jpg See attached pic. JCY

Comment

I machine sew my bindings completely from the front only. I sew the raw binding edge to the front, fold over to the back and use either clips or a thin strip of fusible web to hold the back binding in place so that the binding fold just barely covers the stitch line from the front. I then stitch in the ditch on the front to catch the binding on the back. The machine stitching on the front is nearly invisible and the stitching that shows on the back binding looks nice and neat.

IQ BINDING MACHINE STITCHING.jpg
                    Linda
                    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all your imputs I still am unsure but I will work with it and it how it come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
                        I machine sew my bindings completely from the front only. I sew the raw binding edge to the front, fold over to the back and use either clips or a thin strip of fusible web to hold the back binding in place so that the binding fold just barely covers the stitch line from the front. I then stitch in the ditch on the front to catch the binding on the back. The machine stitching on the front is nearly invisible and the stitching that shows on the back binding looks nice and neat.
                        That is how I do mine, too.

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                          Start on the back if doing it all by machine.
                          I like to cut my binding at 3", fold in half, sew it down on the back with a generous 1/4" seam allowance. Fold it over to the top and using my stitch in the ditch foot, I aline the guide to the left of the binding (snug it up there) and adjust my needle to the right until it is about 1/8" or 1/16" from the left edge of the binding. Then I stitch it down. With the binding at 3" it gets me away from the bulk of the binding on the back. And the stitches on the back look like a row of quilting.

I have tried the method of stitching it to the front and then stitching in the ditch. I always have run offs on the back and have to go and hand stitch those areas down - not to mention how bad it looks. I was never able to get the hang of it. I applaud those that can.

I need to have a serious discussion with DH about how to get pictures off the camera and onto here to show what I'm talking about. I really want to show off the masculine flannel window paned disappearing nine patch that I made him and I would be able to show the binding.
                          Vonnie

Comment

Sew your binding onto the back and wrap it around to the front. This way when you stitch the top you have more control over how your stitching comes out. When you stitch to the front and wrap it to the back you are more or less sewing blind on the front.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I sew my binding on the front and hand sew the back.
                              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                              X