How to Add Ruffles to Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Add Ruffles to Quilt

Help! I've checked on-line tutes, Craftsy classes, and all my quilt books and can't find basic, clear instructions on how to add ruffles to the quilt edge. Can anyone help me? Is it THAT difficult? I know I need to make the ruffle and sew it to the raw edge of the quilt...on the front? on the back? What is the standard width of a ruffle? Is there an easy way to attach the binding after that? Must it be hand-sewn? Do I have to use bias binding? Does the binding then show only on the back? And how do you get the ruffle to lie flat - simply by ironing it back? Thanks for any advice!

Re: How to Add Ruffles to Quilt

Is this what you are talking about: Ruffle Binding with Violet Craft | Sew Mama Sew |
    Vonnie

Comment

vonnie.. this is very good information... I love ruffles as well, and have done it once or twice,, this shows me more options!! Thanks again...B
      "Each day well-lived and Happy;
      that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
        Is this what you are talking about: Ruffle Binding with Violet Craft | Sew Mama Sew |
        Thank you Vonnie. Yes, that is the tute I already saw but it just confused me a bit! lol! I will print it off and try to read through it more carefully. I THINK the single bind ruffle is what I want, right????

Comment

You're welcome ladies.

I would try a practice on the Double Bind Ruffle. It looks like more work but with better results. Maybe try a pot holder or placemat size practice piece.
          Vonnie

Comment

Here is another way

An imperfect tutorial: Easy ruffled flange binding. |
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Lorie - that is an awesome tutorial! I think I will try it.
              Vonnie

Comment

Angie, It really isn't as hard as it seems. You just lay your ruffle on top of the quilt facing in, so raw edges are together, then put your binding on top of that. Sew your binding on as you normally would. When you turn the binding to hand sew to the back, the ruffle will flip outward.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                  Angie, It really isn't as hard as it seems. You just lay your ruffle on top of the quilt facing in, so raw edges are together, then put your binding on top of that. Sew your binding on as you normally would. When you turn the binding to hand sew to the back, the ruffle will flip outward.
                  Thanks, Marilyn. That sounds very simple & what I was looking for. So, do I just sew the ruffle and binding on together in one go, and on the front, the ruffle will cover the binding correct?

Comment

Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
                    Thanks, Marilyn. That sounds very simple & what I was looking for. So, do I just sew the ruffle and binding on together in one go, and on the front, the ruffle will cover the binding correct?
                    Did you look at the tutorial I posted?
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      Did you look at the tutorial I posted?
                      Thank you Lorie! I printed that one off too. I should be able to 'get it' now!

Comment

good point... do a "mock up" to be sure you get it.. I would just treat it like the ruffle on a pillow... baste all around close to the edge.. put backing and batting on top.. stitch around, leave opening.. turn RSO.. close with top stitching... it's the easiest way.. you can use that ruffle I'll bet you have.. those things are fabulous!!! good luck! GB
                        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Working...
                        X