I am trying to stitch in the ditch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying to stitch in the ditch

I am new and I am trying to stitch in the ditch I am having a really hard time with this. Does anyone stitch in the ditch and can you give me any pointers?

Re: I am trying to stitch in the ditch

Are you hand quilting or machine quilting? If you're machine quilting do you have a walking foot or a 1/4 quilting foot? Need more details, sweetie!
    What are you having trouble with? BTW, I quilt by hand......and for me the best way to learn exclusively, was to watch youtube tutorials on stitch in the ditch.....
    Last edited by shermur; February 4, 2014, 04:11 PM.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I am machine quilting and I have a walking foot on my machine. I am having a hard time trying to guide it. Should I get invesable thread to do this. I really want this to turn out it is a baby quilt for my daughter.

Comment

Someone needs to chime in that actually does this on their machine...I tried it once with a 1/4 quilting foot...so I probably wouldn't be able to advise you, sweetie! Sorry.....
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I haven't mastered FMQ yet so "Stitch in the ditch" is my go to method for small projects I don't want to send out. I have a stitch in the ditch foot but only recently got it. That has really helped me - made a HUGE difference. My biggest tip is to go slowly. Don't even think of trying to hurry this up. Keep your eyes on the material about an inch or so in front of your foot. Concentrate. And when you get too far off, rip it out. Only you can decide how perfect you want to be. I'm trying to be very exact right now, knowing I can always loosen up once I master this. But I don't think anyone ever just runs their machine on high speed and rips through this. If you don't want to be so exact, try the serpentine stitch or another decorative stitch that doesn't need to be so exact. There was a post a couple days ago and tomorrow I'm going to try following their ideas and making some quilt sandwiches to practice using my decorative stitches. This Forum is a great place to learn!

Comment

I have attempted STD, but am not good at it. I found that if I used a decorative or serpentine stitch, that the little wobbles/bobbles of missing the ditch were not as noticeable, since the stitches were supposed to show and no on notices if the curve is farther away or closer to the ditch than others.

If you are wanting straight line quilting, another option is to sew on either side of the ditch. That also seems to be a little more forgiving.

There are lots of videos that you can watch that probably have great tips - like not looking at where the needle is going in but out in front of the foot. I have heard that STD is the hardest one to do.

Good luck and have fun!
            Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Take it very slow and easy...you would do better with a stitch in the ditch foot...my machine came with one but I do it both with and without the foot but the trick for me was slow and easy and try to feel in advance on which side the fabric is laying and stitch opposite of it...hope that makes sense...I love stitch in the ditch now but hated it at first...just take your time and realize that you are right on top of it and from a slight distance no one else will know especially after you wash it!

Comment

As others have said, going slow and using a SITD foot are both very helpful. Other than that- practice makes perfect.
                Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice I am just so scared of this not turning out. I want it to look nice it's for my new grandson coming in March.

Comment

It will be fine and remember the most important ingredient in that quilt is the love you pour into it...not the quilting on it!

Comment

I use a walking foot, I just try my best to follow the seam. If I miss oh well once it's washed and dried you can't tell! I eyeball the seam to the center of the foot! Perfection is overrated! I'm sure it will be wonderful!!

Comment

SITD is all I know how to do. Best thing is to GO SLOWLY! If you start in the middle of the quilt and work your way to the edges, you will have less trouble with puckering. I use a fairly long stitch. Have fun!

Comment

It takes a lot of practice to master stitching in the ditch (SITD). I lengthen my stitch a little and sew slow. At some point I must go cross-eyed because I jump out of the ditch and have to jump back in. The little mistakes that you see when you are sewing up close will not be evident after the quilt is done and washed. My long-arm quilter refuses to SITD on anything because it's so tedious.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I am using a zigzag on it and it looking ok. Thank for the advice.

Comment

I use my SID foot all the time, made a difference in my staying in the ditch!

Bev
                              Quilting is a gift I give myself.
                              Bev

Comment

Working...
                              X