Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half square triangles

Hello Everyone.....
    I am sewing two 4 1/2" square triangles together and cutting them to get 2 half square triangles. Each should be 3-7/8" square including the seam allowance. I have done it twice and I am not even close to it be 3-7/8. I have checked and made sure I am using a 1/4" seam. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guest I could cut the original square a little bigger and then size it down, but I would rather go by the instructions and not have to adjust every cut.

Re: Half square triangles

I'm confused. Are you starting with 4 1/2" squares of fabric?

I would expect you to start with a 5" square.

What is your quilt pattern called?

Comment

It is a Mystery quilt, so I am not sure of the name. Sorry the pattern says to start with 4-1/4" square of fabric, not 4-1/2".

Comment

So, you are starting with one 4 1/4 " square. Can you say again what you do next?

Comment

The general rule of thumb when making half square triangles is to add 7/8" to the size. If you are supposed to end up with a 3 & 7/8" HST then your starting square should be 4 & 3/4".
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
            The general rule of thumb when making half square triangles is to add 7/8" to the size. If you are supposed to end up with a 3 & 7/8" HST then your starting square should be 4 & 3/4".
            That's what I was going to say... If you're starting with 4 1/4", you will end up with something close to a 3 3/4".
            Cil
            A quilt is a blanket of love
            http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
            http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

What Karen said.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Ditto for me.

Comment

Hi....don't know if this will help....but when I use half square triangles in a quilt I always spray a little startch first onto the squares before I sew them together ...this really helps them keep their shape and I always end up with more accurate sized squares

Comment

any HST is made by..adding 1/2 inch to the measurement you want the finished HST to be once in the block. If you want a finished block with 4"x4" HST...you need to cut them each 4,1/2"x4,1/2"...then when they are sewed together, that 1/2 is 1/4 in of seam on all sides for a finished 4x4. So if you want a finished HST of 3,7/8x3,7/8....you would add 1/2 inch to 3,7/8....whatever the math would make that and cut them that size
                    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

This might be helpful....
                      Attached Files
                      :icon_wave: Lynn

Comment

Just found a great chart for cutting hst. Check MichiganQuilts.blogspot.com. For a finished 3.75. Cut your square 4.58.
                        Another thought, you said this was a mystery quilt, any chance the directions were rong? I'd check with your instructor.

Comment

I give myself "wiggle room" & cut my squares 5/8" larger than the desired finished HST size. I'd rather waste ~1/8" than come up short on one side. JCY

Comment

Working...
                          X