Tips Needed for Pulling Out Tube Pillowcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips Needed for Pulling Out Tube Pillowcase

I love being able to quickly make the grands pillowcases for any holiday/occasion. I've watched Jenny's video many times and she seems to easily pull out the fabric. I get it pulled out but it seems to be more of a struggle than it should be and the fabric is a wrinkled mess once I get it out (to the point of not even being able to iron them out). I've tried rolling tighter to allow more space in the tube but that doesn't seem to help. Any tips to make it easier and for the fabric to stay smoother?

Re: Tips Needed for Pulling Out Tube Pillowcase

Wish I could help but I'm not sure what to do. I've never had any trouble pulling the fabric out.
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Get your iron nice and hot and puffing steam and you can iron those wrinkles out!

Comment

how wide are you making your cuff? . . . Personally I made the cuff 9 1/2 to 10 inches - once folded over - it's either 4 3/4 or 5 inches before sewing it all together
        2015 is here
        Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

I made almost a dozen pillowcases using the tube method shown by the Crafty Gemini on YouTube. Never had any problems at all. It was easy and a lot of fun.You might check out her free tutorial and see if there is a difference in how you are assembling them.
          Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

Most of mine turn easy but once in a while I have a stubborn one. I don't roll my case very tight...sort of fan fold it. Make sure you reach up as far into the tube as possible to begin pulling it out. Good luck!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have made over 30 of those types of pillowcases. Sometimes it's a little snug pulling it out.

A friend of mine told me to fill a spray bottle with 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of water. Spray those wrinkles lightly, then press. The vinegar smell will go away.
              Vonnie

Comment

P.S.
                I always wash the pillowcases afterwards anyway - that way they can use them right away and I can also see how well they hold up. I always tell them warm water, regular wash and dry, then, because they are cotton, iron if they can't stand the wrinkles! Also, to never use bleach - told the last young man that his dragons would become extinct if he used bleach!
                Vonnie

Comment

If Jenny's tutorial is not clear enough for you, try this link: How to make a Pillowcase- Burrito/Sausage/Roll Up method - YouTube
                  At about 3:27 mark, you will see how Vanessa pulls the fabric through the tube.

I don't roll tight, just fan fold the fabric over as Bubby said. It should easily pull through if you are making your cuff large enough and are not catching any stitches of the folded fabric.

Comment

P.S.S.

I also, after pulling it out of the tube and pressing it, I stitch along the cuff just a little less than 1/4", right on top of that seam allowance. Then helps secure those fabric edges inside the cuff. Sometimes I use a decorative stitch and sometimes just a plain stitch in matching thread. I noticed that none of the tutorials do this.
                    Vonnie

Comment

Once you pull the first inch or so through, turn down about an inch of the fabric. Grab that and pull from the bottom. Turning that bit down seems to help for me
                      Debbie

Comment

Having made more than 200+ of the Burritos Wrap (French Seamed) Pillowcases but I do a 27" Focus with a 9" Cuff/2"Accent.

I roll main Focus fabric loosely up into a 1" roll inside the 9" Cuff which is folded in half.

When it's time to pull the burrito inside out, I make sure the seam is facing down, the rolled fabric is facing towards me. Reach in about 2 inches and start pulling it out.

Hand press/straighten the accent/cuff on the front first to lay down the seam to help it, then press front, then press the back, adjust the front one more time if need be.

Do wish I had one of these Press.jpg lol
                        sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

This forum is the best! How wonderful to come home to find so many tips, ideas and suggestions. I thank each one of you! I have been using the 27" length for the main part with 9" cuff/2" accent per Jenny's tutorial (but finish them with French seams). Jenny's tutorial, of course, is perfectly clear - it's just that she's pulling that fabric out so easily compared to what I'm experiencing. I looked at Crafty Gemini's tutorial also and, while the pillowcase turns out the same size, the cuff is wider so perhaps that makes for easier turning. There are suggestions I have not tried so next time... I will fan-fold (have been rolling as tightly as possible to have more space for turning). I also have never tried reaching up very far to begin turning so will do that. I've never tried pulling from the bottom either and when I looked at Jenny's tutorial again just now I see she is pulling the opposite end (how did I miss that the other 25 times I watched it?!). I'll also position the seam facing down before I start pulling out the fabric. Many thanks, again, everyone! I'm looking forward to easier turning!

Comment

Working...
                          X