Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you considered modern fabric (layer cake specific)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you considered modern fabric (layer cake specific)

I'm getting out of my comfort zone. I favor darker combos and Kansas Troubles fits with the patterns I now use.

Now it's been suggested I "update" and make some modern quilts also. Well I do have a few quilt patterns that would work well with brighter colors and larger print patterns. Problem is I won't be able to use any directionals.

So I went to M* layer cakes to start looking for what would be considered modern. Problem is you can't judge a book by its cover ... and you can't judge a collection by the top fabric. The thought of looking at all 387 layer cakes in stock is daunting. I did attempt looking at pinterest but didn't find anything that gave up the name of a fabric line that I found was still available and quickly gave up.

So I'm looking for suggestions for bright, jewel tone, non-directional collections. Any help bringing me out of the dark-ages is appreciated.

Re: What do you considered modern fabric (layer cake specific)

Don't remember designers but I believe lines like Dazzle, Spin, Twist, This 'n That and some batiks are.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Joanne! I'm going to rest my tired eyes and get started with your suggestions in a couple of hours......

Comment

Giggles and Happy Tones are nice ones also. I also like This N That. It might be a good option for you as its not overly dark nor light. Have fun.

Comment

The Electric Feather line is good for modern. Also, really most prints work with modern - you just need solids or mostly solid like a mottled marble or marble type material for background fabric. Lots of negative space here is a flicker group with more pics than you can look at in a week https://www.flickr.com/groups/freshmodernquilts/

Good luck!!
          Murphy :icon_wave:

www.quiltparadigm.blogspot.com

Quilting forever, housework - whenever!

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
            The Electric Feather line is good for modern. Also, really most prints work with modern - you just need solids or mostly solid like a mottled marble or marble type material for background fabric. Lots of negative space here is a flicker group with more pics than you can look at in a week https://www.flickr.com/groups/freshmodernquilts/

Good luck!!
            I bought this and there is some beautiful fabric in there, but, it has a lot of browns in it.

This is bright and I consider it modern: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...dow-jelly-roll
            Last edited by buckeyequilter; February 4, 2014, 04:01 AM.
            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I went on a search and this is what I consider modern;
              https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse/2714
              https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse/2703
              ....and I really like this one;
              https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/15063
              ....this one is called modernism, but it is dark
              Modernism - Missouri Quilt Co.

Lots of good ideas, Good Luck!
              Last edited by bkthomas; February 4, 2014, 04:25 AM.
              ~Kathy~

Comment

You might want to check out the Kaffee Fassett line or Tula Pink. I think they are considered modern, the ones I've seen certainly are.. Very graphic and rich saturated colors.
                BTW. It's good to move out of your comfort zone, that's how you grow. I've noticed that my taste in fabric has grown & expanded over the years. Started out with small calico prints & now I use everything from civil war repro thru 30's to batiks and pretty much every thing in between. Or maybe I'm just a hopeless fabric addict. LOL
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

In addition to the terrific ideas already suggested, here are a few more things to think about.

It seems that "modern quilting" includes a lot of solids as a part of the quilt design, and there's more negative space, often of white, gray, or neutral.

Amy Gibson, in her blog called Stitchery Dickery Dock, shows some examples, I think, of modern quilting done with all kinds of fabric.

In the MSQC shop, some layer cakes to look at are designed by Malka Dubrawsky and Lotta Jansdotter, and a couple of fabric lines might be Botannics, and True Colors.

Happy stepping out of your comfort zone!

Comment

Was it for somebody in particular? Or a specific age range?

On the one hand 'shabby chic' is trendy, but not really for teenage boys.

Comment

I recommend you take a look at Art Gallery Fabrics. Also Amy Butler, and Ana Maria Horner.

Comment

It's such a broad interpretation. There is so much out there.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...63.gSqs8KNXrNQ

Maybe go to Pinterest and type in modern and see what comes up.
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have Giggles coming. Bold graphics, very girly. I also have Fusion Meadow. That's a pretty line, marbled bold colors. Robert Kaufman does a lot of modern designs. I also have Op Arts coming. Seems my taste goes toward modern. Lots of geometric lines, bold, saturated colors, not usually flowers unless they are done in bold prints. The negative space, blacks, grays, jewel tones is right on the money. Browns, creams, vintage flowers usually isn't modern.
                          Hugs,
                          Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I also like This 'n that, I bought some when it was the daily deal, and just had to go get the layer cake that was not the daily deal.
                            Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

This is a quilt I did using Giggles. I make a lot of quilts with white as a background color, I find it makes the other colors or design really pop.
                              !image.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X