Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

    I came across this and since I don't know anything about it and will eventually be buying another machine, I thought I would ask the experts. Do you have similar experiences?

    To use the automatic thread cutter for quilting...or not?

    Thanks for any insight

    Joanne
    Hugs,
    Joanne

    There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

    A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

    #2
    Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

    I love this feature! I also love my needle down, speed control and knee lift. I can no longer live without these features. Just my opinion
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

    Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

      Originally posted by PeggyM View Post
      I love this feature! I also love my needle down, speed control and knee lift. I can no longer live without these features. Just my opinion
      Have you come across any of the issues she writes about?
      Hugs,
      Joanne

      There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

      A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
      Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

        Yay! On threat cutters! Any future machine I obtain, that will be a deal breaker for me. Gotta have it!

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

          I have stopped using the thread cutter because when you start sewing again the thread is not smooth on the bottom. But I do like this feature to use sometime.

          Grace

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

            I do use mine and haven't had any problems with starting back up. I try to use a spider/leader piece of cloth at the beginning and then chain piece, so that may be why I don't notice a problem. Since I am chain piecing, I don't use it on every piece. I really like this feature.
            Lisa

            M*QC forum is full of the best people!

            I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

            A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

              Originally posted by yeeehawterri View Post
              Yay! On threat cutters! Any future machine I obtain, that will be a deal breaker for me. Gotta have it!
              So you haven't had any of these issues then?
              Hugs,
              Joanne

              There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

              A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

                Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
                I do use mine and haven't had any problems with starting back up. I try to use a spider/leader piece of cloth at the beginning and then chain piece, so that may be why I don't notice a problem. Since I am chain piecing, I don't use it on every piece. I really like this feature.
                That is what the writer does too. I have never heard of this but I haven't heard of much anyhow. They even show a photo of a well used one.
                Hugs,
                Joanne

                There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

                  I love the feature. My only complaint is that sometimes after the thread is cut, the thread comes out of the needle.

                  Then again, my machine also has the automatic needle threaded so... yea!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

                    No issues. I didn't read the link, but I use leaders/enders and if I'm starting where I can't use a leader/ender, then I just pull the bobbin thread up from the bottom. Just isn't a big deal to me, except I find it a necessary luxury.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

                      I love it for quilting because it eliminates having to search under a huge mass of fabric to snip threads.

                      For piecing, I am such a creature of habit I usually use my manual cutter on the side/shank before I even remember to think about using the auto cutter, unless I am using one of my machines that I programmed to tie off then cut.

                      I am not sure what that tangle of threads is in the article linked, I have not encountered that before. I do not EVER pull up bobbin treads when I quilt, I tie off at the beginning and at the end. No thread tangles when piecing either, whether I've used the auto snips or cut them myself.

                      Definitley test that feature before you buy a new machine!
                      Cathryn

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

                        The auto thread cutter is a must for me anymore. I wouldn't want to do without it. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

                          Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
                          I love it for quilting because it eliminates having to search under a huge mass of fabric to snip threads.

                          For piecing, I am such a creature of habit I usually use my manual cutter on the side/shank before I even remember to think about using the auto cutter, unless I am using one of my machines that I programmed to tie off then cut.

                          I am not sure what that tangle of threads is in the article linked, I have not encountered that before. I do not EVER pull up bobbin treads when I quilt, I tie off at the beginning and at the end. No thread tangles when piecing either, whether I've used the auto snips or cut them myself.

                          Definitley test that feature before you buy a new machine!
                          What do you mean by tying off at the beginning and end. Manually tying the thread in a knot? I tend to waste a lot of thread. I need the tail at the beginning and the amount pulled out to cut it with the side cutter. I had an expensive spool of thread (500 yards for $8.00. For me that is a lot) and quite a bit was wasted just from tails.
                          Hugs,
                          Joanne

                          There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                          A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

                            I like using one. For one thing, it saves on the amount of thread waste.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Automatic Thread Cutters... Yea or Nay?

                              I don't have one, but my next machine will!!! It's kinda like seat warmers in a car....once you've tried them, you are never without!
                              pat.

                              No rain....no rainbows!


                              sigpic

                              If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X