To border, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To border, or not?

I'm really torn over this. I LOVE the simplicity of the Irish Chain, and planned no border, but now wondering if a border would add more punch.
    The block are 6" squares.
    The striped bias binding fabric is what I would use, provided I can get my hands on more of it.. NOT cut on the bias, but WOF.
    Will it 'cheapen' the look?
    This is a baby quilt, but I'd like it to be drug around the house by a toddler, sucking his thumb, and looking for a nap!

IMG_20140203_180744.jpgIMG_20140203_185534.jpg

My android tablet is taking the pic sideways. SIGH...
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Re: To border, or not?

image.jpg
    I did a similar one, and then I thought I would have liked it better with no border. I'm still on the fence. I know that was of no help. But, Whatever you do, it will be lovely!
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

I'm not sure. It looks dark to me. What if you did a thin border in it with one of the other colors? or two of the colors?
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Leave it to this great board for a member that has done one already.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyM View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]67478[/ATTACH]
          I did a similar one, and then I thought I would have liked it better with no border. I'm still on the fence. I know that was of no help. But, Whatever you do, it will be lovely!
          WOW!
          Very similar. Keep the ideas flowing in, ladies and gents!
          It's a boy quilt. (Mom's theme is primary colors.)

Comment

I love your Irish Chain. I do not however like that particular striped fabric for the border. Even if that is what you plan on using for the binding, I would put a small border of white first. IMHO.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
              I love your Irish Chain. I do not however like that particular striped fabric for the border. Even if that is what you plan on using for the binding, I would put a small border of white first. IMHO.
              I wasn't at all sure, myself. That's why I asked. I LOVE the binding on bias, though...
              Thanks, Marilyn!

Comment

I'd probably just bind it w/the stripes and call it a day!
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I really like it! I need to try this Irish chain - it has been on my list to do forever!

I like the bias stripes as binding, but not sure that I would use it as a border - it kind of pulls attention away from the middle. If it is the size you want it, then I would just bind it in the bias stripes. If you need it a bit bigger, I agree with Marilyn on a white border, then the bias stripes binding.
                  Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

small white inner border and print outer... I like borders.

Comment

I like this border. Sue, I think the stripe is too busy for the simplicity of the quilt.
                      Originally posted by PeggyM View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]67478[/ATTACH]
                      LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Mimis-quilts View Post
                        I like this border. Sue, I think the stripe is too busy for the simplicity of the quilt.
                        Me too, Pat.
                        Amazing what a couple of hours, a pic, and forum intervention can do!

Comment

I think that the striped border is too busy for the quilt. It would work good as a binding. Personally, I would either do it like the other lady did with large blocks or just use a white border.

Comment

If it were me, I think I'd do a solid border with the striped binding. Since little one's quilts get more wear and tear, a border with no or few seams should hold up longer than the pieces of your blocks.

Comment

I like starlover's idea. A solid border with stripe for binding. The solid color could be the yellow you used as the center block you have in your quilt. Your quilt is very nice!!

Comment

Working...
                              X