Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Layer Cakes from Yardage

Hello Everyone!

I have Moda fabric yardage that I need to cut layer cakes (10" squares) from. I have 2 yards and need to cut 24 layer cakes from it. Does anyone have a site that offers a tutorial or could anyone give me instructions on the best way to do this without wasting fabric?

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Bunny

Re: Cutting Layer Cakes from Yardage

Warning: Newbie answering. You will get 4 10" layer cakes WOF. You will get 7 10" layer cakes LOF. YOu will have about 1-½" left on the WOF and 2" left on the LOF - so cut carefully. You will have 28 total 10" layer cake pieces - so 4 extras- or 12 extra inches to be creative with if you don't need extras.
    I think that's right but maybe someone more experienced would like to confirm?

Comment

I think my main question is "how" to do it. I am pretty sure I have enough fabric, but am scared on how to start. But, thanks Lilly! I'm a newbie to this all, making my 4th quilt and full yardages still frighten me, lol!

Comment

I have the June Tailor shape cutter, but a long ruler would work. I would cut 10" wide strips the WOF, then cut 10" squares from each strip. Don't be scared. I know it's hard to cut into all that fabric, but it'll be okay.
        My friends call me Peggy
        The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

I believe Jenny also has a tutorial re cutting. That may help you with some tips. The first time cutting yardage is scary.
          Ann

Comment

I was gonna say the same thing as Peggy. You should only need to use 60" of fabric, so you would have 12" left. Good luck.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by icwilson View Post
              I think my main question is "how" to do it. I am pretty sure I have enough fabric, but am scared on how to start. But, thanks Lilly! I'm a newbie to this all, making my 4th quilt and full yardages still frighten me, lol!
              If it's continuous yardage... trifold it, trim off salvage, cut 4 from salvage to salvage... and then layer those and cut again.

MEASURE and fold carefully and straight. You should get 28 if it is continuous yardage. If it's 1 yard cuts, you will get 24 or 12 from each.

Comment

Thank you all, for both instructions on how to fold/cut and understanding my anxiety on cutting the yardage. It's great to be a part of a group of such knowledgeable and understanding people willing to share your expertise. I'm going to start cutting tomorrow morning with these ideas printed out and my fingers crossed!

Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly View Post
                  Warning: Newbie answering. You will get 4 10" layer cakes WOF. You will get 7 10" layer cakes LOF. YOu will have about 1-½" left on the WOF and 2" left on the LOF - so cut carefully. You will have 28 total 10" layer cake pieces - so 4 extras- or 12 extra inches to be creative with if you don't need extras.
                  I think that's right but maybe someone more experienced would like to confirm?
                  Way to go with the math, Lilly!

Comment

Start by cutting one 10 inch strip WOF, then sub cutting into 10 inch squares. That should help you get the feel of it before cutting up the whole piece. Just take one step at a time and you'll be fine.

Comment

OR -- find a local quilt shop and ask if they have a fabric die cut machine - some shop only charge a very small fee to use their die cut machine . . .

if you lived in Jax Fl area I would cut them for you
                      2015 is here
                      Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

I had no idea there was such a thing, Diane. I'm going to try cutting it myself this morning. I've heard people say that have favorite aspects of making a quilt - some love piecing, some love choosing the fabrics. I love the whole process from beginning to end but this will only be my 4th quilt and there are loads of techniques that I've not done yet. Cutting like this is one of those techniques. I'm hoping I learn from it without ruining the fabric.

Comment

What are you going to make with the layer cakes once they are cut? Sometimes you can save a step depending on what the end result needs to be.
                          Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I do what Kensi said too. Cut the selvage off first. It get's warpey right there.
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

You should pull a thread from the left of the fabric to the right. Cut into the selvedge to to do this. This ensures a straight line across the fabric. When you get your fabric from the shop it's not usually cut so well. Cut carefully along this thread.

I would then fold my fabric into half along this thread line. Then fold it again and pin into place. Spectacles are great for this!

put the top line of your fabric along a line on your cutting mat and cut your 10" strip. Immediately pin all along the rest of the fabric to secure your top line for the next cut. Pin the bit you've cut off to secure it.

Rest the remainder of the fabric in a place where it won't be crumpled. I use the back of a chair.

returning to the strip you've cut. Lay it out on your board and cut into 10" squares, removing the selvedge first.

This way you've got a proper square of fabric that won't distort when you sew it.

Comment

Working...
                              X