Cleaning up threads after piecing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning up threads after piecing

I use a sticky roller for the very loose ones after pulling and snipping the rest - I hate that job but I mostly use Moda fabrics and they aren't too bad. I've found some cheaper yardage frays .
    Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

I don't worry much about threads on the back of the quilt top, but try to cut as many as possible that are on the front. I do, however, make sure all the seams are pressed the right direction.

Comment

I'm very OCD about trimming threads on quilt tops. It's impt. to not have those threads or any bulky spots for when you're doing the FMQ. The smoother everything is, the easier the quilting is. Depending on the kind of fabric, those threads can show through, especially on white or lt. fabrics. It's worth it to take the extra time to trim to make your quilt look its best. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by ozziepuppy View Post
          Could someone please explain why threads on the back of the quilted top would need to be clipped? Wouldn't they just be inside the quilt sandwich?
          If you have a mix of light/dark colors, the dark colored threads can show thru the white and take away from the look - especially if they are very dark.

Comment

Honestly, I am usually fairly neat and organized, but of late, I've caught myself trimming threads and tossing to the floor.
            Really, really BAD habit...
            Because, ultimately, thread snips travel everywhere....

But to stay on point, if I'm sending out to a LAQ, I'm pretty anal about cleaning up threads, but less picky if it stays here to be (rustically) quilted.
            I really need to get off the exclamation point.
            It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

I chain piece most of my stuff, so the leader & ender threads need to be trimmed. I usually do those right away and keep as many of the shedding ones trimmed back.

I had a bad habit of just pulling the thread and then trimming it close to the fabric if it didn't come all the way out. I once pulled out about 2 inches of a seam that way. DOH! Now I'm more careful.

The "varicose threads" could certainly be a problem. I use a cheap (dollar store) lint roller to pick up most of the loose threads before spray basting.
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X