Cleaning up threads after piecing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up threads after piecing

In one of my Craftsy classes the instructor spent time on how to clean up your quilt top before sandwiching and quilting

Do you take the time to clean up threads and check that all the seams are going in the right direction to be quilted?

I do clean up ling threads and look for any lumps and try to flatten them, but I admit, I dont get all crazy about it.

Also, any advice on how to get thru this process easier?
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Re: Cleaning up threads after piecing

I try to do it as I go so I won't have much messing around to do by that point!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I check seams, but I'm bad at cleaning up threads. I'm usually snipping any that come through after the quilt is done.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't really do much! lol! Which class was that in?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post
          I check seams, but I'm bad at cleaning up threads. I'm usually snipping any that come through after the quilt is done.
          I'm kind of the same. Mostly is because it seems like as often as I clean, dozens of new threads show up. I'd rather clean up the few that crawl through to the top than to constantly be clipping, clipping, clipping.

I do wonder if all my shedding is because I don't use precuts, and I do prewash. I'm about to do my first "precuts" quilt, so I'll find out if this theory is correct.
          Last edited by GuitarGramma; February 2, 2014, 07:16 PM.
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I get a lot more shedding w/the precuts...has to do w/those little pinked edges!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
              Hmmm, I don't really do much! lol! Which class was that in?
              Not sure which one but next time I come across it, I will bring it up on the forum. Was a good bit of information for anyone wanting it

I use lots of precuts and that is where I get the majority of strings. Not sure why though
              Karen
              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Could someone please explain why threads on the back of the quilted top would need to be clipped? Wouldn't they just be inside the quilt sandwich?

sigpic
                Marci

Comment

I have the same bits of fabric threads coming through when I use precuts too.

Comment

Up to a point, I will trim those darn threads and straighten unruly seams. I'm working on a red and white quilt and I'm a bit nuts about those red threads showing under the white.

Comment

Sometimes stray threads can show through, a friend calls them varicose threads. I do try to clean up the worst of them. Using spray starch does seem to decrease the number of lose threads.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                        I get a lot more shedding w/the precuts...has to do w/those little pinked edges!
                        Hate that!
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I do but only cause I don't like any bulk on or around seams when FMQ'ing. I sometimes even use pinking shears on seams. But I don't get crazy about it either.

To clean up threads on the floor in stead of vaccuming them up.. I use masking tape rolled backwards on my hand and then pat around the floor and it picks up the thread pieces perfectly and the vaccum doesn't get clogged with threads.
                          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I try to clip thread as I go and then going over it once before quilting. I have not been real picky at the seams laying perfectly. But I do have a couple of quilts that I will be picky on seams because one is a wall hanging and the other is almost a king size quilt.

Comment

My house looks like a thread monster went through. Everywhere I go I loose little bites of thread. I blame it on the dog. He's good for it. I pick the threads off my quilts as I go, then again when I finish the top. It seems as if I always miss some. On the quilt I am working on now I used some pre-cuts and some material I cut. Just about the same amount. I have had strays threads on the back show through the top after it was quilted.
                              Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

Working...
                              X