X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

design - - - how do I?

I

Hi,
    I'm a beginning quilter and I just had an idea, but I don't know how to actually design it.
    A friend of mine on FB shared a 'Pay it Forward"initiative and when I shared, one of my friends that said they were in is an avid knitter. I wanted to make her a mug rug with something like a ball of yarn and knitting needles, but I have no idea how to go about designing something.
    Any thoughts? ideas? links to guides?
    Thanks in advance, since I know there are some wonderful folks here willing to help.

Rose

Re: design - - - how do I?

If I wanted a ball of yarn and needles on a square of fabric, the easiest method would be to appliqué those images on to a little mat and then quilt around all of it.

Pinterest is a great place to look for ideas or try Mug Rug images in Google search. There are lots of tutorials about appliqués and mug rugs online. It's all pretty basic stuff and definitely a good place to start if you want to experiment with quilting.

Comment

I just tried google images and did not see anything like what you wanted. Did see some knitted mug rugs though, but you said you want to quilt/applique? I wonder if you can get it embroidered?
      Vonnie

Comment

Maybe this can give you an idea? Machine Embroidery Designs at Embroidery Library! - Knitting Needles and Yarn Quilting Square (Single Run)
        Vonnie

Comment

Some more ideas: https://www.google.com/search?q=colo...w=1135&bih=721
          Vonnie

Comment

Urban treads has some cute designs. If you click on hand embroidery outlines will show up

Search Results | Urban Threads: Unique and Awesome Embroidery Designs
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Here is an applique pattern for a ball of yarn: Newbie Knitting | Yarn Ball Applique Block | Wee Folk Art

Hope you find something that you like.
              Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Oh thank you all so much! I really like the ideas here. I was trying to search for knitting themed fabric and not coming up with anything.
                Vonnie, I love the idea of using the embroidery pattern to quilt with.
                Ilive2craft2, thanks so much for the link to the appliques, those are so cute!
                I haven't attempted applique yet. I've been kind of afraid of it. This might be the time to give it a try.
                Thanks again everyone!
                Love the ideas and links.
                Your the best!
                Rose

Comment

Working...
                X