I need help with machine appliqué

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with machine appliqué

I have done the appliqué pieces using light weight fusible web and now I'm ready to stitch around the pieces.
    I did a test yesterday using 40 wt Sulky thread and 3 different needles a microtex sharp 90/40, a schmetz embroidery and a superior titanium coated 90/40 needle and all of them leave big holes in the basic fabric....does anyone have a solution. I did not wash any of the fabric before I used it.
    Thanks Patti

Re: I need help with machine appliqué

Not sure what the trouble could be, can you post a picture? I do a lot of machine applique, use a 90/14 quilting needle or 90/14 sharp and have never had a problem. I also do not wash my fabrics and use a lightweight heat and bond.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

I was having trouble and someone suggested using a tear away stabilizer behind it. Haven't tried it yet.
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I don't think it is a real big problem. The holes will shrink back after it is washed and won't even be noticible.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

I think your needle may be too big for the fabric. It should not be making noticeable holes. It also appears that the bobbin thread is pulling to the top so check your tension. I use a lot of Sulky 40wt, but usually a little smaller needle, use a lightweight tear-away stabilizer underneath and make your stitch length a little shorter.

Sulky, Pellon and all the mfgs. make great lightweight tear away stabilizers and they're cheap. Using a stabilizer makes a big difference on your stitch quality and you may not have to change needle size.
            Last edited by Sharyn J; February 2, 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

It looks like your tension is off too.

oops Sharyn just said that.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                I don't think it is a real big problem. The holes will shrink back after it is washed and won't even be noticible.
                I agree. If you weren't planning on washing it, you can always give it a shot of steam or two from your iron, that will help also.

Comment

I used thick iron on Vlisofix and turned the edges. My machine buttonhole stitch is a triple stitch so is bound to leave holes. They may close up after washing but I'm pleased with the result.

close-up of applique | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
                  Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Maybe try using a 50 wt thread and a size 12 (or even 10) needle. I see that you have matched your thread to your fabric, so I think a lighter weight thread and smaller needle would still work. That said, I think what you have done looks fine.

sigpic
                    Marci

Comment

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I am using tear away lite on the back. I do not plan on washing this...hoping it will be used as a wall hanging. I tried using the steam iron on the sample today....don't notice any difference. I'm going to try the suggestions of different thread weight, stitch length, and adjusting the tension. BTW I'm also using white bobbin thread in the bobbin...

Comment

Update on my appliqué ....I tried a size 60 needle and 40 wt thread and it's working out pretty good! The only problem is the automatic needle threader on my machine won't work so it's a bit of a challenge for me to thread the needle because I have no central vision in my right eye ...sew it takes me a little longer to get started when I change threads!! I will post photos this week...
                        Thanks for all the advise!!! Patti

Comment

Originally posted by Fabricadabra View Post
                          Update on my appliqué ....I tried a size 60 needle and 40 wt thread and it's working out pretty good! The only problem is the automatic needle threader on my machine won't work so it's a bit of a challenge for me to thread the needle because I have no central vision in my right eye ...sew it takes me a little longer to get started when I change threads!! I will post photos this week...
                          Thanks for all the advise!!! Patti
                          Hi Patti, sometimes when I'm threading my embroidery machine it misses. So I'm thinking of getting one of these. I have to wear reading glasses when I sew, so maybe it will help.

Needle Threader - YouTube
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Oh Lorie...thanks for that tip....I need one of those....I've been using the one that comes with my serger but that one featured looks a lot easier to use!!

Comment

Working...
                            X