Ned ur help . . . Have an issue with the binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ned ur help . . . Have an issue with the binding

I have been quilting for about12 years (made garments before that). I love finishing a quilt and putting on the binding... But have notice on two of the quilts we use almost daily the hand sewing part of the binding has come apart in several places. I guess the thread is breaking. What did I do wrong. I have always used Coats and Clark hand quilting thread purchased from LQS. I don't want this to happen to a quilt I gift. Should I have been using a different thread or a different stitch to sew the binding down? HELP:icon

Re: Ned ur help . . . Have an issue with the binding

Your thread should be fine, but it's hard to answer if you need to use a different stitch without knowing what stitch you used or seeing a picture. My hand binding stitches are usually about 1/8 an inch apart and I make a double stitch, to anchor, about every 5th stitch. I'm always afraid that if they are further apart that something will get caught under the binding and pull it loose.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I use a double strand of Bottom Line and what is basically a ladder stitch.

LADDER-STITCH-1.jpg

Comment

I think I should try this ladder stitch. Have always just done a "whip" stitch. I like the idea of an anchor every fifth stitch. Will also incorporate that when I do my next quilt.

Comment

I also do an anchor stitch every so often and I use the stitch that Jenny shows in her tutorial. I (so far) haven't had any issues.
          Cil
          A quilt is a blanket of love
          http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
          http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I just use a small slip stitch and I have never had any troubles. Maybe your stitches were too far apart, or maybe you didn't tie off when you started a new thread. Maybe you cut the thread too long when you start a new section. I use C&C for hand-work and I don't think that's the culprit.
            Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
            Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

Working...
            X