CHARM PACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHARM PACK

I am looking for a cute and cheerful charm pack to make a Pinwheel quilt, I could sure use some suggestions
    Also, could you please tell me how many charm packs I would need to make a twin to full size quilt.
    One more favor, How many across and how many down? Thank you all so much
    Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Re: CHARM PACK

Connecting Threads had some cheerful charm packs - by a different name. They are sold in stacks of 20 prints I believe so you have to get 2 packs + to equal the normal Charms.

Comment

How many 5" charms do I need to complete my quilt?
      We are providing quilters with these handy charts of some of the more popular block sizes in hopes that it will provide quidance and the information necessary to purchase or make the correct number of blocks or quilt squares / charms. There are so many beautiful block kits and charm packs available on Ebay today but many quilters are uncertain of how many blocks they will need to purchase in order to make their quilt.
      The number of blocks in our chart below are based on the mattress size only.
      Add extra blocks or borders for drop at sides of mattress. Happy Quilting!

CRIB size = 25" x 45"
      45 Five Inch Blocks Needed
      Layout = 5 x 9

TWIN size = 40" x 75"
      120 Five Inch Blocks Needed
      Layout = 8 x 15

FULL Size = 55" x 75"
      165 Five Inch Blocks Needed
      Layout = 11 x 15

QUEEN Size = 60" x 80"
      192 Five Inch Blocks Needed
      Layout = 12 x 16

KING Size = 80" x 80"
      256 Five Inch Blocks Needed
      Layout = 16 x 16

This is a "Copy and Paste" from Jean Sewing Machines' user notes
      ~Kathy~

Comment

Thank you Lilly and Kathy, you young ladies are great,
        Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Comment

Originally posted by bkthomas View Post
          How many 5" charms do I need to complete my quilt?
          We are providing quilters with these handy charts of some of the more popular block sizes in hopes that it will provide quidance and the information necessary to purchase or make the correct number of blocks or quilt squares / charms. There are so many beautiful block kits and charm packs available on Ebay today but many quilters are uncertain of how many blocks they will need to purchase in order to make their quilt.
          The number of blocks in our chart below are based on the mattress size only.
          Add extra blocks or borders for drop at sides of mattress. Happy Quilting!

CRIB size = 25" x 45"
          45 Five Inch Blocks Needed
          Layout = 5 x 9

TWIN size = 40" x 75"
          120 Five Inch Blocks Needed
          Layout = 8 x 15

FULL Size = 55" x 75"
          165 Five Inch Blocks Needed
          Layout = 11 x 15

QUEEN Size = 60" x 80"
          192 Five Inch Blocks Needed
          Layout = 12 x 16

KING Size = 80" x 80"
          256 Five Inch Blocks Needed
          Layout = 16 x 16

This is a "Copy and Paste" from Jean Sewing Machines' user notes
          This is great info. Any idea on a lap quilt?
          Hugs,
          Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Here are some charm ideas

This 'N That Charm Pack - Nancy Halvorsen - Benartex
            Swirl Charm Pack - Whistler Studios - Windham Fabrics
            Dazzle Charm Pack - Patrick Lose - Robert Kaufman
            Daisy Mae Charm Pack - E. Vive - Benartex

Comment

This may be of help also for a lot of people!

Oops! That link didn't work properly, but if you go to the Blog and type into the search bar "what does this make"
              there are a couple of entries that tell how many pre-cuts you need for various sizes.
              Last edited by bkthomas; February 2, 2014, 12:42 AM.
              ~Kathy~

Comment

I just watched Jenny's newest tutorial ( see below ) The Flower Garden Quilt ( with Sashing )
                Sashing for the Flower Garden Quilt - YouTube

In this tutorial Jenny mentions that the following Charm Packs are needed for the following sizes

1 Charm Pack = A Baby Quilt
                2 Charm Packs = A Crib Size
                3 Charm Packs = A Lap Size
                4 Charm Packs = A Twin

Hope this helps. IF you listen to the tutorial Jenny mentions what I just listed for the amount of Charm Packs. You wanted to know how many charm packs for a Twin Size....you need 4.

Oh....BTW.....I really think that this Charm Pack is something I find cheerful. It's called My Sunshine
                http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/...ine-charm-pack
                Last edited by redcaboose1717; February 2, 2014, 02:22 AM.
                Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Remember the sashing video? Jenny says you can increase the size of a quilt with sashing each block.

Also, another great way to extend a pretty charm pack is to pair it up with a pretty solid like the Bella Solids or maybe even a pretty tone on tone fabric that compliments the colors in the charm pack.

Like if I used the Lovely charm pack. I would probably buy Kona Snow and make my pinwheels with one 5" square of Kona Snow and one Lovely charm 5" square. Wouldn't that be lovely? LOL
                  Vonnie

Comment

I've used the swirl layer cake and jelly roll (part of it). It's so pretty and one of my favorite lines.

Comment

When you sew up 5" squares they become 4 1/2" finished size square (using a 1/4" seam allowance). so measure your bed, or other item of furniture. Then calculate how many squares you'll need.

Lets say I'm going to make a quilt to cover my settee. I want my quilt to be 65" square so a bit of quilt hangs down the back, or can be tucked behind the back cushions to keep it in place.

I would then need to divide 65 by 4 1/4 to find out how many charms across the top. 4.5 x 14 = 63, so I'd need 14 five inch charms across the top and down the sides. 14 x 14 = 196 charm squares. I'd be happy with 63" instead of 65" but I could add a 2 1/2" strip round the edge to make the measurement more exact.

Most packs come in 42 charms. So divide 196 by 42 and that's 4.6. so I'd need to buy five charm packs, and I'd have 14 left over.

Comment

There are a lot of designs that are girly, but if you want to make a 'manly' quilt you could choose a fishing one, or other theme. I made a lapquilt for my friend's husband and used a beer themed fabric.

Comment

This is one of the cheeriest charm packs I have ever seen
                          https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...eam-charm-pack

Daydream Charm Pack
                          by Kate Spain for Moda Fabrics
                          It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins. ~Chinese Proverb
                          sigpic
                          There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared: twins. ~Josh Billings

Comment

How about this one: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...hts-charm-pack
                            Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

As I was looking at more fabric - like I don't up have enough unused - saw the fusions lines. Fusion Meadow and Fusion Texture are really pretty. I have both in jelly rolls.

Comment

Working...
                              X