Border help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border help please

Can the length of fabric be used for borders? I originally bought the fabric for the backing but I fell in love with the flower strip the length of the fabric and thought it would look great as a border paired with the Red. Help!
    image.jpgimage.jpg. Hope pictures appear.
    Peggy:icon_hug:

Re: Border help please

Yes, you can cut your borders from the length of the fabric. Many people do it this way so they don't have to piece their borders.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I would definitely use that fabric as a border. What's nice is you have a choice between 2 strip designs. Use one for this quilt and save the other for another quilt.

Comment

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Great! I can go on as I hoped. This will be the largest quilt I have made so far. My local quilt shop has a long arm that can be used for $25 an hour but you have to take a lesson first which is $50. You have to provide your own quilt etc. is that too steep?

Comment

Originally posted by Pegger View Post
          Thanks for your help and suggestions. Great! I can go on as I hoped. This will be the largest quilt I have made so far. My local quilt shop has a long arm that can be used for $25 an hour but you have to take a lesson first which is $50. You have to provide your own quilt etc. is that too steep?
          Wow....that is a great bargin on the use of the long arm machine! There is a shop near me that has the same prices except the class is $75.00 and $25.00 per hour....Go for it!
          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I just read on a site the other day that it was better to use the length of fabric as opposed to the width for borders because it is less stretchy. There is more of a chance of stretching the fabric which could result in the quilt not laying flat after they are attached. I've always cut my cloth WOF and haven't had a problem, for what it's worth.
            Here is a link: Borders | Lessons | McCall's Quilting

Comment

One of our LQSs has four long arm machines ranging from 18" to 26". Their fee is $18/hr with the first 1/2 hour of the first time you rent as training. Seems very reasonable. Have not used it yet but have been considering it. Much cheaper than buying a machine.
              Ann

Comment

I use length of fabric whenever I can.
                Vonnie

Comment

Thanks for the info Sherri. It does sound like a bargain.

Comment

Thanks Vonnie.

Comment

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Thank you everyone. This forum is great & also fun!!!! I love reading all of the posts.

Comment

I always cut my borders from the length of fabric. I don't like to piece my border. I always buy enough fabric to accommodate a border.

Comment

Forgot to mention, I over cut my border length, then lay two of them down the center of the top, smooth but not stretched and cut them. Then after sewing them down the sides and pressing, I lay two strips across the center, smooth, not stretched, and cut them. I learned this method from Bonnie over at Quiltville.

Border Hints and Tricks
                            Vonnie

Comment

I try to always do borders on my larger quilts w/lengths of the fabric, the seams annoy me. I like the pattern to be continuous and unbroken.
                              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
                              X