Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about using flannel as backing . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about using flannel as backing . . .

My sister likes a very thin quilt, so I am going to take the top and simply put it with a flannel backing, no batting. This should make the quilt a perfect weight for her. But my question is this . . . I used all precuts for the quilt top, so I did not prewash any of the fabrics. Normally, I would therefore also not wash the backing, but normally I would be using regular cotton on the back. Since I am using flannel (and it seems to shrink more than regular cotton), should I give it a prewash before sandwiching and quilting? I'm just looking for the whole thing to shrink equally once completed and not have the backing shrink a lot more than the top and look odd.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer! Oh, and if it helps any, my flannel is from Connecting Threads, so if any of you have worked with this flannel before, it might help in advising me.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Re: Question about using flannel as backing . . .

Yes. Wash your flannel first and then put it together. It will work better that way. Flannel has a higher shrink rate than regular cotton.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I agree with Karen... wash the flannel.. Can't wait to see your quilt.
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

I use flannel for backs and always wash first. It will still shrink more along with the cottons.
        Have a Sewonderful Day,
        Mary T.

Comment

I guess I'm the odd ball here, I use flannel for almost all my quilt backings and pre- cuts for the front. I don't pre wash any of my flannel and have all my quilts quilted. They have been washed and I have no problems with them. However I do buy quality flannel and maybe that's the difference. I have not used any of connecting threads flannel so I can't speak for theirs. I am planning on ordering some of theirs though to try while they are on sale, they have some great colors and patterns.
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I just used connecting threads flannel as a backing. I love it! I didn't wash it because I'm lazy like that lol I had no issues. I actually found that this flannel feels thicker and better than some of the more expensive flannels out there.

Comment

I'd wash & dry it once before using it.
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Connecting threads flannel is very nice. I made my daughter a rag quilt out of three layers and that thing is almost too heavy to sleep under.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks so much for all your input and experiences ladies!!

I have purchased other items and fabrics from Connecting Threads before and been happy with all of it, but I have never tried their flannel before, so it is so good hear that it's good quality! (I expected it would be, but it's good to have it confirmed - it is on its way to me, but I haven't received it yet).

Anyway, your advice has been so very appreciated!
                  Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I backed my husband 's comfort quilt with very good flannel... It was eleven dollars a yard at my LQS.. Most of the top was made with unwashed precuts... I don't normally prewash any if my fabrics, so it didn't even occur to me to prewash the flannel backing....

The quilt turned out perfectly.... Little or no shrinking.....

I always wash and rinse my quilts in cold water, and machine dry on perm. press.... I've never had a problem...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                    X