Need suggestions on ways to improve my Stitch in the Ditch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need suggestions on ways to improve my Stitch in the Ditch

I am trying to quilt a floor quilt for a baby using this technique. Sometimes I am in the ditch and other times I am all over. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Beth

Re: Need suggestions on ways to improve my Stitch in the Ditch

Use a decorative stitch instead. I'm partial to the Serpentine Stitch. If you do this, best if you use a walking foot.

Here's an example: WeAllSew « http://weallsew.com
    Vonnie

Comment

If you have an edge joining foot or a foot with a blade in the middle, you can line it up in the ditch and it will help keep you from wandering.

Check out "Stitch in the Ditch on Quilts with Kaye Woods" on YouTube
      Last edited by Chanticlair; January 31, 2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Does your walking foot have a guide? Mine has one for either side of the foot, so you can space evenly when you stitch. With my old walking foot (no guide), I marked my quilts with the blue pen & ruler & stitched on the line. The blue markings wash out in cold water. If the fabric is dark, you can use a white pen. I know some people use the chalk, but I've never used that. JCY

Comment

I think it was Leah Day that showed this but I use my free motion foot instead of my walking foot for SITD. Try it.
          Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

My best advice would be to stitch next to the ditch. It is easier to follow the seam next to it, than on it.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I have a foot with a SID guide attached to it, I just put that in the ditch and go. No problem. So I am not sure what to tell you other than go slow and don't pull or push your quilt. If you don't have the attachment/foot for your machine, you can buy a universal one to attach yourself. I also have one of those.

Comment

I have used painters tape (blue) to keep myself on track. My eyes tend to loose focus and everything blurs out on me if I look at something too long or to close. Thus my walking foot and "blue" tape really helps!!
                Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                :icon_wave:

Comment

I had a time with SID too, so I changed to stitching next to the ditch. I liked the look too. Then I bought SID foot and WHOA! that little guide in front of the needle made all the difference.

If you can't get a SID foot, try focusing not on the needle but in front of the needle. Can you move your needle so that it is aligned with some part of your presser foot and guide the fabric in that way? It's like driving your car, you have to focus on something up ahead, not directly in front of you in order to drive straight.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to try them to see if I can improve my stitching.

Comment

The foot with the metal guide in the middle does not work for me. The open toe foot (walking foot option) works better for me. The other thing that helps is to SLOW down. Whenever I go faster I leave the ditch. Invisible thread helps also because your mistakes don't show as much. Also, after the quilt is washed and gets "crinkly" the stitches become less noticeable. Finally, keep in mind that no one will ever look at it as closely as you do--they will be busy appreciating the colors, design, and warmth!

sigpic
                      Marci

Comment

I've had better luck with the zipper foot on the 1500S. I have all the other feet for the Pfaff 2170, and it will depend on what is working when.
                        It's nice having a choice.

Comment

I also have a terrible time staying in the ditch, no matter what I do. I actually like the "next to the ditch" look a little better, so that is what I do a lot. I have also done a simple decorative stitch instead of the straight sitd.. If you make a little mistake it doesn't show up as much.
                          :icon_wave: Linda
                          "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Press your seams to one side, not open, when you make your quilt. SID is much easier when you press to one side. The stitching will bury itself and is much more forgiving.....
                            Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Working...
                            X