Need Help with basting spray PLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with basting spray PLS

This will be my first complete quilt (if I don't throw it out). I am just starting out quilting and I love it. I have watched can't tell you how many videos on quilting. My problem is that I used quilting spray (maybe too much) and my 90/14 or any quilting needle wouldn't go through the material and my machine woud just stop/jam. I couldnt even force the needle through with the wheel. It seemed like it was going to be soo easy! I took the pattern apart AGAIN! washed it and now it ready to go again. Any thoughts on quilting spray or what kind do i use? Yhank You, Debbie

Re: Need Help with basting spray PLS

I have only used basing spray once so far and it was for a hand tying. I'm thinking that you possibly used too much. I have been told that some basting sprays are more sewing machine friendly than others.

Comment

I only use the 505 basting spray and never have any of those issues with it. It sounds like you either used way too much or possibly used a spray adhesive not meant for fabrics. Other people have had good results with Dritz or Sullivan's.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Debbie, I use 505 basting spray and haven't had any problems.......it may be that you just used too much. Here is a link to someone using basting spray that might be helpful. You don't have to have a basting wall.......but the video has good info.

Free Motion Quilting, Beginner Tutorial 2 (of 4) "Spray Basting Wall" - YouTube

By the way.........welcome to the forum!
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I think you need to investigate whether your machine has a problem. Unless it's working perfectly quilting other items, you might have to rewind everything, clean out your bobbin case and start again.

I love using basting spray but a little goes a long way. Every inch does not need to be sprayed but there should be a nice light layer of it on most of the quilt between the back and batting and top and batting. Go very easy on it!

I wish you luck. Write again if you're still having trouble.
          Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I spray baste all of my quilts, and have never had this problem..... It only takes a small amount to do the job....

Make a small sandwich, and try the spray again.... This time, spray very lightly.... A little practice, and you will know just how much is enough.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Is your machine working ok on everything else?

Comment

One can of spray should last you for a few quilts. It sounds like you used way too much. Try it again using much less spray.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I use the June Tailor Quilt Basting Spray and I've never had any issues. Have you tried sewing through a sandwich that has not basting (just a scrap for testing) to see if it's the spray?
                  You may need to check your machine, clean it out well, new needle, rethread bobbin and top thread and try again. I would start with a test sandwich first.
                  Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Are you using a walking foot? I had problems with mine at first. If you are using one, make sure it is installed correctly.

I have used the June Talyor spray and it has worked fine. I have two twins-sized quilts & a few smaller projects out of one can with some still left. A light hand with the spray is best. You can always add a spritz more if you find an edge that is loose later.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Try your machine on a test piece , never had it not to go threw the material and I spray baste I think something else may be going on

Comment

I use either 505 or Sullivan's. 505 is more expensive and Sullivan's has a more intense chemical order. For both of these, a little goes a long way. I tend to spray the back of the backing fabric, then put down the batting and spray the batting before putting down the top. Check out Patsy Thompson's youtube video:
                        Patsy Thompson Designs: Free Video Tutorials
                        Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                        Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

I basted my first quilt this winter....the IQ...and used the basting spray from MSQC. My hubby thought more was better, so HE used an entire can on that queen sized quilt. I didn't have a bit of trouble stitching through it, though! I would check your spray, then your machine. I truly don't believe it was because it was too much spray!

Comment

For a needle NOT to go thru, it sounds like it is hitting the bobbin case or something solid. I can't imagine issues with basting spray, regardless of how much you sprayed on.

NOW, take this as a warning about glues other than a basting spray type, which is NOT permanent. I sewed thru some velcro that was intended to be ironed on/stuck on. It had permanent glue on the back. BUT, I wanted to be sure that it wasn't EVER coming off, so I did a quick seam thru the sides. The glue got on the needle and down in the case and I think it caused the bobbin case to stop turning and of course the needle hit the bobbin case and you guessed it....trip to the repair shop and a pricey little bill to fix the timing. The repair man said it happened a lot. That kind of glue can mess up your machine.

Comment

Debbie it sounds like it's a needle problem to me. I spray baste my quilts and used too much a time or two and they quilted out fine. Try a new needle and see if you can quilt it.

And welcome to the forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X